Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 570 Replies
15 moms liked this

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BShip2010
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM
109 moms liked this
So you basically made a post to brag...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM
23 moms liked this

LOL If I gave birth to a 13 lb baby i would brag! i felt like i was gonna die carrying a 6 lb baby!!!   I cant even Begin to imagine how you walked around that last month!! It felt as tho I had a grapefruit stuck down there.. O.O 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM
3 moms liked this
Oh my goodness, she was a chubby :) Don't let what people say on here get to you. They are always looking to "one up" someone
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM
19 moms liked this

welp, looks like you got your chance to brag.

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM
I dont brag about dd when she was born. She was just under 10lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM
9 moms liked this
Hmmm. I didn't realize that it was something to brag about. I prefer to brag about her accomplishments.
RhondaVeggie
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
64 moms liked this
Bragging about a big baby generally involves actually giving birth to them so there isn't really a reason to brag with a c-section because size doesn't matter when the baby isn't passing through the vaginal canal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM
15 moms liked this
I had a 38 pounder...so there
Apr1l
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM
18 moms liked this
Why the hell can't someone brag about their children?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM
18 moms liked this
Well you kinda just lumped yourself in with the rest of them now didn't you? Eh I could careless how much your kid weighed or if you had a drug free labor. All the matters is baby got here safely regardless of the way it happened.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured