Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (111-120):
caito
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM
3 moms liked this

13 pounds?

Holy fucking shit

Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM
My last dd was a water birth. Best experience of my life. Could be why other moms bring that stuff up because it was such a great experience for them. I however I only bring it up in Relevant conversation
Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Why does it both you so much? Do you feel all high and mighty that you had a 13 pound baby and DON'T brag about it! Either way this post is pretty lame!
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure people who "brag" about it, have other interests and things to be proud of as well. I don't see anything wrong with being proud of birthing a large baby naturally. I had a 10.4 vbac at home. I'm proud as shit. I'm a fucking BIRTH WARRIOR! Get over it!

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM
I have never seen a mom brag. I have seen moms tell how large their baby was and people usually ask how baby was delivered if baby was larger but that is it. No bragging.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrtymcdnl
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM

heres my brag then. LOL ... MY BABY WAS 8 LBS AND 6 0Z (21 inches long)  and she was so big she decided she didnt want to be head down, she wanted to sit up like a big girl and be breech. so they had to cut her out and pull her out by her toes.. then peed and pooed on the doctor right then and there.  LMAO> theres my big baby story

olleo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Sharing birth stories is an age old past time.  If you don't want to participate, then excuse yourself.  It's as easy as that.

GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM

usually they focus on everything you just seem to have a distaste for labor braggers and so you notice it more. Most moms brag about their kids start to finish.

Alos, a few of them are trying to help the battle against elective and "hes too big at 7lb c-esections"

People brag about anything, why does it bother you? Just move on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Ya she's one of those that think you aren't a real mom unless the baby has shot from your vagina!

Quoting Anonymous:

So I did not give birth to my daghter because I had a c-section? I'm pretty sure she's sitting in front of me right now and not still in my uterus. I know that was not what you intended by this statement, but I'm sure more mothers than just myself who gave birth via c-section would be offended by your phrasing.

Websters dictionary seems to agree with me too.

1birth

noun, often attributive \ˈbərth\

Definition of BIRTH

a: the emergence of a new individual from the body of its parent b: the act or process of bringing forth young from the womb

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Bragging about a big baby generally involves actually giving birth to them so there isn't really a reason to brag with a c-section because size doesn't matter when the baby isn't passing through the vaginal canal.

IntactivistMama
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM

My son was born at 42 weeks and only weighed 7lbs 5oz! WTF!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)