Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (471-480):
azeventdiva
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I think one of the main reasons women will boast of vaginally birthing big babies, is to let others know that it CAN be done. Some people seem to think if your baby is "big" being 8lbs or more, that you must have had a c-section. Obviously C-sections are needed in some cases, but people need to realize that it should not be because of the size of the baby. Obviously you needed to go to the c-section route after 28 hours of labor. That's still a good amount of labor you went through before making the decission to have a c-section. So, I see nothing wrong with that. However, those that schedule a c-section just because they don't want to go through labor, or do it out of convenience do bug me. That I do not agree with.

kaycersmom
by Katie on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Well maybe they feel like it was a big accomplishment lol. So how else could they describe their experience without annoying you, or do you just prefer they didn't say anything?

I know personally a lot of time I share that kind of information people asked about it. I don't see how it's annoying but whatev :)

RobynsMom27
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I think that you have a bit of resentment for moms that had the experience of pushing a baby out of their vaginas.

I'm just calling it for what it is.  It seems like, given the tremendous impact of the birth experience, the toll it takes on a woman's body, etc, a woman has EVERY right to brag, self-congratulate, whatever.

It is, in this day and age, a rare thing for a woman to vaginally and naturally birth a large baby.  Not because the baby is at some inherent risk that other's aren't, nor the mother.  It's because there is a stigma about babies being large, so women are often cajoled into C-sections.

My baby was 9 lbs 6 ounces.  I am very proud of myself.  It was the hardest thing I ever did.  My baby is healthy and happy and exclusively breast fed, too.  I'ma brag all about my baby until I'm 6 feet under, and maybe even then.

cdjak
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you live in a cave? Of COURSE having a c-section is giving birth! The baby is still born, isn't it? Have you ever seen a c-section? I've seen many, and it's not like they make a huge incision and the baby just falls out of the uterus. It's still pretty tight, and of course the incision would be bigger for a larger baby as well. The recovery is so much more brutal than vaginal birth. Get off your high birth-horse.

shawn_jax_mom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM
I don't think I bragged but my first son was 8 lb 10 oz so not huge but I was just like OMG!!! I can't believe I just shot something that big outta my HOO HOO! LMAO! but all my sis in law talked about was how big her kids were when they were born and mine were gonna be even bigger and I was like I really don't care. I guess some women just think its a badge of honor or something. I didn't care how big or small just as long as they were healthy. My second was a scare because he weighed 6 lb 14 oz and was 4 weeks early. He couldn't drink a bottle because his breathing was too fast. He had an IV in his head for 4 days til his breathing stabilized and his weight dropped to 5 lbs so he had to gain weight before we could bring him home. To me health out weighs size anyday!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 98 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
My first was 9.8 lbs and it was bad we had to return all the newborn stuff no bragging here. I used drugs to get her out thank The Lord!!
sweetfox3
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Congradulations on your baby. I also detest when people brag about birthing their big babies. However, for me, it seems that they are bragging about how big a baby they grew. My heaviest baby was less than half your dd. It was my smallest baby that nearly ended in a c-section birth (OB had already made decision to do section for failure to progress, but he was born before the anesthesiologist was avaiable- by less than 10 minutes. Seriously, the anesthesiologist came in to discuss my choices and I showed him my son and said we were good now.)
Scribbleprints
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

The reason it usually comes up is that my kids are still big (not fat, just big...my youngest is four and wears a size 6).  All three of mine were been bigger than his age until they got much older,  so I've always felt the need to explain their size so people wouldn't think they were slow. 

And I have to admit that I've come to enjoy people's reactions.  I didn't really know what was normal at first, and when people would asks for stats right after my first was born, I found their shocked reaction amusing.  I'm rather petite, so I think my kid's size threw them for a loop.  But I don't think I had it anyharder than others.  I took drugs on all but the last, and didn't have any complications.  My friend who had to have a ce-section pre-term had it much harder.  A tiny baby is not an easier baby, only lighter. 

(My son's were 10lb 3oz, 9lb 1 oz, and 10lb 1oz.  The 9lb 3oz one was the hardest...induced because they didn't want him to get "too big."  I'm glad an ice storm made me miss one of my last appointments and my doctor didn't know my first was "too big" because he said he would have encouraged me to have a C-section and I didn't know enough to fight that then.  I would now.) 

Zefira
by New Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I must confess, I have bragged about the birth of my babies, their size, and the length of labor (3 weeks LOL).  I am sorry if I offended any of my friends or people who asked, but I couldn't help myself.  Each of the 3 births felt like such an accomplishment.  I do feel a little self-conscious talking about this to people; some are very happy for me and the childen, but I am careful not to share in front of women who want babies and have trouble/ are unable (although I have made the mistake before).  We are all human, and so pride, jealousy, insecurity, and shared joy are all possible emotions.  I am personally sensitive to others' thoughts and feelings - sometimes overly so, but we have to recognize the fact that millions/ billions of women have done this before and we are but specks of dust and blips in time.  Knowing this was actually an empowering comfort to me before and during birthing.  Bottom line - birth for me is love, love, love through the beauty of unspeakable pain. We shape our own reality.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 99 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
This is stupid! I love how dumb shit annoys people. Get a fucking life and you'll be to busy to care!!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN