Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM
13 moms liked this
You should really word that differently just because someone had a c section doesn't mean they didn't give birth.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Bragging about a big baby generally involves actually giving birth to them so there isn't really a reason to brag with a c-section because size doesn't matter when the baby isn't passing through the vaginal canal.
clippingmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

This reminds me of a incident that happened to me.............. my 2nd daughter was 10 12 and I was at a wic class and a distant cousin came up to me and very snottily said "see your not the only one who has big babies" as she walked away in her yellow sweat pants with blood all over the back I said nothing just smiled..................... Yeh I don't give a crap what size your kid was or mine................just that they are healthy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
This. Its not like you actually pushed that baby out so big or small makes no difference.
People brag about bigger babies but big big babies aren't usually something to brag about since they probably got so big either by the mom not taking care of what she ate or diabetes, the mom being huge to begin with (which again isn't healthy) or things like that, so its not really an accomplishment since it can actually affect baby's health.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Bragging about a big baby generally involves actually giving birth to them so there isn't really a reason to brag with a c-section because size doesn't matter when the baby isn't passing through the vaginal canal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I played the guess how much my baby weighed game becuase I thought it was fun not becuase I wanted to brag.

I also don't try to one up people by talking about my DS birth weight. I like talking about his birth becuase I had an a good experience. Also it's just a funny story.

I'm a small little woman and I was even smaller when I had him (and young too, not yet 17). My ex DH is also very small (smaller than a lot of women). No one expected an almost 10lb baby out of me espicially since I only weighed 12 more at delivery than when I first had him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncohetero
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:49 AM
If it makes someone feel special let them brag. I really don't pay mind to it when ppl talk about those things but its important to them so whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaRae85
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM
7 moms liked this

Sadly, many women on here actually think that if you have a C-section, you haven't given birth. Clearly, dictionaries are in short supply. ;)

OP, this is what I read: "I hate when people brag about their babies! It's soooooo irritating! I just don't understand whbragbragbragbragbragbragbragbragbragbragbrag. Brag! Braggety brag brag!"

Quoting Anonymous:

You should really word that differently just because someone had a c section doesn't mean they didn't give birth.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

AleaKat
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this
Both my boys were a couple oz shy of 10 pounds
I don't brag it's more that I was do tiny before I had kids and I was do nervous about labor that knowing that my body could do that kinda made me proud if myself
I had epidural though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SB2217
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I'm 5'4" and 118lbs pre baby so when I delivered an almost 9 lbs baby everyone in the delivery room was surprised! LOL No one expected a chunky little thing to come out of me since I'm pretty petite.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I played the guess how much my baby weighed game becuase I thought it was fun not becuase I wanted to brag.

I also don't try to one up people by talking about my DS birth weight. I like talking about his birth becuase I had an a good experience. Also it's just a funny story.

I'm a small little woman and I was even smaller when I had him (and young too, not yet 17). My ex DH is also very small (smaller than a lot of women). No one expected an almost 10lb baby out of me espicially since I only weighed 12 more at delivery than when I first had him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I talk about my kids birth weights but it's just so how big of a difference there was between them. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheryllinn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM
6 moms liked this
Well my vagina is awesome and has done some wonderful things. I have no need to validate that. It just is what it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured