Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (51-60):
siennasmamma
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I know exactly what you mean. Even the mothers that don't have "big" babies brag about how they had a drug free, natural labor and delivery. Like they're so much better than mothers that chose the epidural. But such is life, right?

militarywife09
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM
That's where you're wrong. I had an epidural with my girls and they were 7lbs 10ozs and 9lb 2ozs but I had a vaginal birth. Whether or not I had help with the pain doesn't make it where I should be any less proud because regardless I pushed them out of me by myself.

Quoting Elyce225:

I guess you just don't understand the awesomeness of having an all natural birth and delivering a big baby.  It's definitely an accomplishment, most women can not do it.  

I birthed an 11 pound baby all natural (not even an IV).  I also birthed a 10+ lb baby with an epidural, and then I had two c-sections.  The other three are not brag worthy but the natural birth is.  

I guess you would understand if you were able to do it *shrugs*.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:22 AM
5 moms liked this
I had c-sections & they were both over 9 lbs and, YES, that's "brag worthy" because I carried their heavy asses on my small frame for 9 months and YES, I gave birth, for the fucktards reading this! I had c-sections to save our lives, so I am a fucking super hero!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

You can be proud all you want, that doesn't make it that you had an all natural birth, lol.   Unless you have you can not possibly understand the accomplishment that comes with it.  I am proud of all my births, including my c-sections.  I grew life and they came out healthy.  Everyone who has done that should be proud.  But, since I did have the chance to have an all natural, that one birth I am more proud of than the others.  I know the difference between them and unless you do (in general, if you have an all natural and then some with medicine) you would know what I am talking about.

Quoting militarywife09:

That's where you're wrong. I had an epidural with my girls and they were 7lbs 10ozs and 9lb 2ozs but I had a vaginal birth. Whether or not I had help with the pain doesn't make it where I should be any less proud because regardless I pushed them out of me by myself.

Quoting Elyce225:

I guess you just don't understand the awesomeness of having an all natural birth and delivering a big baby.  It's definitely an accomplishment, most women can not do it.  

I birthed an 11 pound baby all natural (not even an IV).  I also birthed a 10+ lb baby with an epidural, and then I had two c-sections.  The other three are not brag worthy but the natural birth is.  

hippiemamax3
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Idk, I am damn proud that I overcame the circumstances of my sons birth and pushed him out.
It was, physically the hardest thing Ive ever done.
I know this post is directed at me. I only made those posts yesterday bc I was super bored and wanted to get a reaction. Get over it.

Quoting BrittsJade:

I kinda get what you mean, It's nothing a mother did, it's just how their baby was born, so what, right?lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Why would someone brag about a fat baby?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I think giving birth natural is something to be proud of but bragging, im not sure. My first was epidural, my second was all natural. 5 hours of labor and a VERY fast, crazy delivery. It was an AMAZING empowering experience I cant even describe, and im so proud of myself for doing it, and Im doing it again with my 3rd. However, I dont think all women can do it, (and some simply dont want to). My SIL in law for example I KNOW she couldnt. she's pregnant with her first and already complains about EVERYTHING and all she does is go to work (sitting in an office) and go home and sleep. Everything hurts and everything is so hard. She's only like 12 weeks btw, so yeah, I dont think she can take laboring and delivering a baby all natural. So im not going to brag about my natural birth and make her feel like less of a mother because in the end, how you choose to give birth doesnt make you a better mother. 

Quoting Elyce225:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

My cousin is tiny and healthy and had 3 ten pound babies, all induced a week early and all vaginal births. We talk about how big her babies were all the time because we find it so funny that someone so small could have such big babies (her dh is tall and broad so that's where they got it)

Quoting Anonymous:

This. Its not like you actually pushed that baby out so big or small makes no difference.
People brag about bigger babies but big big babies aren't usually something to brag about since they probably got so big either by the mom not taking care of what she ate or diabetes, the mom being huge to begin with (which again isn't healthy) or things like that, so its not really an accomplishment since it can actually affect baby's health.

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Bragging about a big baby generally involves actually giving birth to them so there isn't really a reason to brag with a c-section because size doesn't matter when the baby isn't passing through the vaginal canal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM
2 moms liked this
So if you are not bragging why, did you post the birth weight etc...?
hippiemamax3
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I am 5ft tall, 125lb and I pushed out an 11lb 2oz baby at home. It was nearly unbearably painful. But I overcame that and pushed my son out. Damn straight Im proud! Lol I think anyone would be!

Quoting the3Rs:

I think the point is that they're happy they had a big, healthy baby and they were proud to be able to carry and deliver it.  No harm there?  What?  Women aren't allowed to be proud anymore?  It's more of a brag on the mom than on the baby - but in any case - who cares?!

Oh - and though you're apparently against 'bragging' of any kind, your post sounds all kinds of 'braggy'.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN