Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (511-520):
weirdkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't have babies vaginally. My pelvic bone fused when I was younger cuz I'm an idiot. I was in active labor for 5 days with my first. DD was stuck lol came out with a conehead. Lol. My water wouldn't break because she couldn't get down far enough. Some woman at the hospital told me I didn't give birth. Security had to remove her lol.

Quoting gateach:

I know exactly what you mean. My DD was 7lbs and delivered her by c- section at 37 wks. My friends who delivered larger babies vaginally either with or without an epidural act like I took the easy way out. They do not realize how hard 34 hours of hard labor to a sunny side up baby is. My DD was stuck and when she was born she was bruised and had cuts all over her forehead and down her scalp. Had it not ended in a C-section we may not have made it at all. So no I did not vaginally deliver her but I did give birth to her and it was hard. It was thr worst thing I have ever been through but I got the best reward in the end. Just let what they say go in one ear and out the other.

To those out there who feel everyone is trying to one up you maybe their experience was better or worse than yours..... Maybe you are trying to be the one upper.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ikette
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:41 AM
2 moms liked this
I get what you are saying. I have done it all ways. 100% drug free, cs,epidural. I think it is insane to do it without some drug help. Yeah I did it without help. Would I do it again, hell no. Why should I endure that? So I can say I did! Every person has a different pain tolerance for giving birth. If you carry a baby and that baby comes into the world, slap yourself on the back. Women like to brag because it makes themselves feel good. Lord knows I don't ever bring up birthing around my sil, she will top you all! Lol! No matter how our babies get here, it is a miracle!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 102 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:28 AM
Quoting mummy24:

I don't think how you deliver makes you less of a mother; however, with that being said you say that having a c-section is harder than vaginal? Yes, post-partem may be, but I literally pushed 2 hrs straight with my daughter! Giving birth vaginally (whether naturally or medicated) is THE hardest physical thing a human can do! My best friend just had a c-section, & was in the OR for like 10 mins literally when her baby was born! I was so happy for her, but I was like WTH! I worked very hard for my daughter, & my post op was also very hard too: I tore & had an episiotomy!
pinkjimmies06
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM
Holy crap huge babies! I don't blame you for the csection either!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:37 AM

I pushed a large pumpkin out....I'll brag as much as I want thankyou very much.  You had a baby cut out of you...no bragging rights.  Sorry just the way it is.

mummy24
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM

I apologise for the way I worded my post....I do not think having a vaginal birth is easier than c section but unless there are complications like you had, it is simply easier and quicker to heal.

I sometimes feel a bit cheated that I was unable to give birth naturally but it isn't about how you give birth it's the success of 'baking' your baby and how you raise it, as you said.

I just get pee'd off when people say 'oh you didn't give birth' or 'you cheated' etc etc....if I could have given birth naturally I would have 100% but health reasons and stubborn babies meant I couldn't but I still say I gave birth to all of them because I went threw contractions each time, then had to be paralyzed and cut open 4 times....I wasn't out of OR after 10 minutes with any of them....I feel that may b a slight exaggeration on your part.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mummy24:

I don't think how you deliver makes you less of a mother; however, with that being said you say that having a c-section is harder than vaginal? Yes, post-partem may be, but I literally pushed 2 hrs straight with my daughter! Giving birth vaginally (whether naturally or medicated) is THE hardest physical thing a human can do! My best friend just had a c-section, & was in the OR for like 10 mins literally when her baby was born! I was so happy for her, but I was like WTH! I worked very hard for my daughter, & my post op was also very hard too: I tore & had an episiotomy!

mummy24
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you or making a point of saying c section is still giving birth....I have had 4 and will always say I gave birth because they came out of my body....I suffered pain to bring them into the world even if it was a differant pain

zingarella
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I've never heard anyone "brag." My friends and I all share our birth stories with all the details. My baby was 5 pounds, but on time and healthy. So what? It's just a fact I share and people do say "wow" because that's small. When someone says 10 pounds we say "wow" because that's on the big side.

Don't you have better things to worry about.

I can't believe I just wasted my time replying! I have more important things to do....!!!

jessica31876
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not brag about the size of my kids or the amount of time spent in labor. I had 3 c-sections. One because my daughter had her cord around her neck and went into fetal distress. She had to be born quickly and I was not dilated. 7lbs 16 ounces/19 inches. Second was 11 lbs and 24 inches and 19 hours of labor my dr decided to do a c-section because even though I was in hard labor still I had not dilated. My last son born prematurely by 43 days weighed 7 pounds even and 19 inches. Born because I had developed pre-eclampsia. Had gained the normal weight with all but my first because I believed the crap that I was eating for two and gave into every crraving but I weighed less then 100 lbs when I got pregnant with her. I think that it is natural when you have an unusal birth story and people are discussing their childrens birth to share. All three of mine could be considered kinda normal or unusual compared to what another mother went through. But really I think above all all a mom is doing is talking about their kids whether it be the birth or when they walked or talked or what their first food was how they are sleeping or the lack of sleeping etc etc. I dont consider it bragging. I enjoy sharing with other moms and hearing their stories and hearing about their kids/babies. It is the one thing we all have in common whether we have one baby or ten we all went through the birthing experience and are doing our best to live and love our kids everyday.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 103 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this
I have honestly never experienced this. What I find to happen a lot is women will brag that their baby is in the 95th percentile for weight. I personally find that disturbing. I don't think some people realize that the 50th percentile would be a normal weight. So 95th percentile is WAY over weight. Im sorry but i would be embarrassed if my baby was in that high of a percentile.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN