Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (521-530):
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I don't think big babies are cute so i wouldn't find that something to brag about personally. But then again i had small babies and people don't think small babies are cute sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissNew
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I understand what you mean when people say its an accomplishment but there are a lot of moms in cafemom who belittle and even argue with other moms who had a c-section or had epidural during vaginal birth. As long as the baby came out is important. I had never seen so much criticism on how women give birth. Saying having a c-section is not really giving birth. According to all medical books and science that's giving birth. The act of bearing offspring coincides with giving birth. Having something come out of you like "alien vs. predator" is a freak anomaly that does not constitute birth, obviously.
Moms even brag how they breastfeed and rub it other moms faces who have a hard time like they're better or whatever. As long as they're child is getting nourishment somewhere and is healthy is what matters. Some women try really hard to breastfeed and just can't, not cause they choose not to but physically can't. Sometimes due to stress or they're body just can't make enough. It breaks my heart seeing a mom try and break down thinking they're not a good enough mother just cause other mothers "say so". I know a mother who breastfed exclusively and bragged how her child is going to be amazing and going to be a genius and is blahblahblah. Her kid turned out to be a clingy bratty spoiled kid who struggling to know they're place values. It's all about parenting and how a child perceives and reacts to the parenting. A healthy child is all that matters.

Ok I'm done ranting haha

Quoting hippiemamax3:

Its all perspective. My best friend ran a 26 mi marathon in 90 degree heat. I think thats nuts. Why would anyone willingly run 26 mi in July? She didnt have to do that. She chose to.

Does that mean its not a valid accomplishment? Is she not allowed to be proud?

Birth is the same way, imo. You dont have to do it naturally. Its a choice. Nobody cares if you do or you dont. But if you DO, yeah, I think youre allowed to be proud.

Kwim?

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Quoting hippiemamax3:

You mean without an epidural? See, I see no problem with it. In fact, I don't understand the need to be a superwoman and endure all the pain. But, to each their own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Quoting mummy24:

I understand, & I'm sure you would've loved to have had your LO vaginally if possible. You're correct, it's not the matter of HOW you give birth, it's the 9 months leading up to it, & the lifetime of love & caring afterwards that matters. No, I didn't say SHE was in & out of the OR in 10 mins, that would've been impossible (& we would've questioned her dr if so), but from the time her dr went in & until we heard his cries (her room was across the hall from the OR), it was 10 mins. So, no there's no exaggeration on my part. And just like with every vaginal birth, every c-section is different. My friend was up & moving, & driving before I ever was able to pp. She also has 2 other children as well to have to take care of.
MisfitInTN
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I love my small babies. My 7 week old is only 8lbs. I find large babies to be disturbing. My 4 yr old is only 38lbs. I wouldn't brag about my overweight baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loralismommy224
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Quoting gateach:

I know exactly what you mean. My DD was 7lbs and delivered her by c- section at 37 wks. My friends who delivered larger babies vaginally either with or without an epidural act like I took the easy way out. They do not realize how hard 34 hours of hard labor to a sunny side up baby is. My DD was stuck and when she was born she was bruised and had cuts all over her forehead and down her scalp. Had it not ended in a C-section we may not have made it at all. So no I did not vaginally deliver her but I did give birth to her and it was hard. It was thr worst thing I have ever been through but I got the best reward in the end. Just let what they say go in one ear and out the other.

To those out there who feel everyone is trying to one up you maybe their experience was better or worse than yours..... Maybe you are trying to be the one upper.

My daughter, born in Feb was also a sunny-side upper with the cord around her neck! Thankfully after 2 hrs of pushing, I finally delivered her...however, by the end I WAS begging for a csection, lol! I'm glad you & your LO both were ok!
Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
It actually does. They had to cut up and down for my son after they cut side to side bc his head was so large, so yes size matters when you're giving birth via cesarean. Smh!

Quoting RhondaVeggie:

Bragging about a big baby generally involves actually giving birth to them so there isn't really a reason to brag with a c-section because size doesn't matter when the baby isn't passing through the vaginal canal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessica31876
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

My son was off the charts in both weight and heaight for several years. My doctor said it is only abnormal if they do not match...like my son being born at 11 pounds at a year weighed almost 40 or maybe a little more. He was the size of a three year old but he was not fat. Unfortunately he passed away in a car accident at 17 but at the time that happened he was over 6ft tall (which would be high on the height percentile) and he wore a size 32/32 in jeans. He worked out everyday and was very lean and muscular. Yet his weight would have probably still put him high in the percentile. It cannot just be viewed as a number. The doctor looks at all measurements before making a conclusion that your child is over/under weight.

jessica31876
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

nice to hide behind a computer and be so nasty about a baby. I find your response to be ugly and I have the guts to say it under my name.

(this was in response to the anonymous user who said large babies are ugly)

jessica31876
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

what I find really annoying is all the anonymous posters on here who are so nasty. This board SHOULD be about sharing about your babies. Some of the people posting on here should be ashamed of themselves for their hateful comments. My mom always told me "If you dont have anything nice to say don't say anything"

LuvmyBoyzMandG
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Everyone woman feels a sense of accomplishment and some just need to share it more than others. Just relax and ignore it if it bothers you:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured