Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (541-550):
turtle68
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

FFS...really?  The post is about why women brag about the weight of their baby.  Not who has less of a birth experience.  Get over yourself.

Quoting brettsmomma:

eye rolling My son was "cut" out of me. It didn't make my birth experience any less then yours. It was the single most wonderful moment in my life and some random Internet personality will never change that. :) 

Quoting turtle68:

I pushed a large pumpkin out....I'll brag as much as I want thankyou very much.  You had a baby cut out of you...no bragging rights.  Sorry just the way it is.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM

psst you made it about how the baby was born. I responded.. see highlighted area.. fool!

Quoting turtle68:

FFS...really?  The post is about why women brag about the weight of their baby.  Not who has less of a birth experience.  Get over yourself.

Quoting brettsmomma:

eye rolling My son was "cut" out of me. It didn't make my birth experience any less then yours. It was the single most wonderful moment in my life and some random Internet personality will never change that. :) 

Quoting turtle68:

I pushed a large pumpkin out....I'll brag as much as I want thankyou very much.  You had a baby cut out of you...no bragging rights.  Sorry just the way it is.

turtle68
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Try and follow here....when you push out a 13lber then you want to brag about it.  When its cut out of you...no work on your part, no hard labour....no bragging rights. 

Do you understand why it was bought up now?  It was not bought up to make anyones "birthing" experience any less wonderous.

Name calling is not allowed in here...Just saying :-)  But then it always goes there for some.

Quoting brettsmomma:

psst you made it about how the baby was born. I responded.. see highlighted area.. fool!

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting brettsmomma:

Quoting turtle68:

kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I just give my dh crap about our youngest being 9lbs because it was all his fault. Yep, it was. LOL

I laugh with my friends and family about how we are all surprised he didn't "fall out" or that they are shocked I could even deliver him vaginally. I guess I don't see it as bragging, to tell people how much he weighed, or answer honestly if they ask if I had to have a c-section or whether or not I had an epidural.

Now my friend's ex boyfriend's mom had 3 kids, all vaginally, all without drugs. The smallest was 11lbs, I refer to her as superwoman. LOL It's all in fun with us, if it bothers you, don't partake. 

xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests. I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.
If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

First off I gotta say I agree 100% with you on the bragging bit, that there's so many other things that make one a good mother, weight at birth has the least bit to do with any of it! I also wanted to give you big kudos points for exclusively nursing both babes that long, I'm at 13 months strong with my first and only son and I'm not going to stop til he and i are ready. However, I get a lot of flack from some docs and other parents, also some extended family, about not giving him three full solid food a day. Our pedi says were A-OK because he's growing perfect along the charts and as long as were introducing it into his diet slowly but surely then there's no problem with exclusive nursing. I understand that at 18 months his body will need other sources of nutrients to stay healthy but I don't get why everyone pushes the solids so early and so prominent when for centuries all women fed their babies was their milk up until 4-7 years of age! (I'd never ever even want to imagine nursing a babe over 4 but I just had to make that point)..

Also, whoever said c sections aren't birth is 100% uneducated, foolish, ignorant and rude. Do you know how many women have c sections daily all over the globe because they don't have another choice?! So what are women supposed to just not birth the baby at all because its a c section?! I'm confused why any slightly intelligent woman would say such a ludicrous statement. Dumb as hell. My ma had me c section because she didnt have a choice because I was breech. Was she supposed to just push me out bum first , legs up, and hope I'd live?!
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

eye rolling if you are rude to me and you act an E-fool i will call you one every time. If I get suspended from a cafemom group as a result I think I could survive the event. 

Quoting turtle68:

Try and follow here....when you push out a 13lber then you want to brag about it.  When its cut out of you...no work on your part, no hard labour....no bragging rights. 

Do you understand why it was bought up now?  It was not bought up to make anyones "birthing" experience any less wonderous.

Name calling is not allowed in here...Just saying :-)  But then it always goes there for some.

Quoting brettsmomma:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting brettsmomma:

Quoting turtle68:

pregomom468
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

i think people just like to brag about their babies and kids no matter what i know i love to talk about my son and everything he does. he is mymiracle and everything he is and does is extraordinary to me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Meh. I'm not bragging. I had drugs. I did go 5 days without though.. those contractions were a bitch though dang... then she got stuck.. I asked for a gun Haha lol.

But yea.. dds birth weight was average. 7 lbs 10 oz at 36 weeks.

So it was average. Now the pain and the epidural not working then ripping and being cut... yea I cried like a BITCH lmao Im not going to brag that lol!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Well you didn't push that 13 pounder out.... now THAT IS something to brag about!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Holy cow those are big babies!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured