Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some moms of 'big' babies annoy me *edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I rarely say anything about DD's birth weight because I really couldn't care less, but moms who brag and go on and on about how big their baby was, how they had no drugs, etc bug me. I don't use my daughter's birth weight as a measure of good parenting and neither does anyone else. For the record, dd was 13lbs 5oz at birth and was born at 40+1. She was born by c-section after 28 hours of drug-free labor. She had some health issues, mostly shoulder dystocia and recieved oxygen. She was in the NICU for a few hours while they ran tests.

I don't brag and I don't get why anyone else does.

Again, this isn't a brag post, just one to state annoyance. My kids are more than just big babies. They are smart, funny, sweet and just good little people. I don't understand why some moms just focus on what they can push out of their vaginas or have cut out of them lol.

ETA: No diabetes, no gestational diabetes. I was not obese or overweight. I am 5'2 and weighed 122 when I got pregnant. I gained 27 lbs during the pregnancy. This child was my first. During the pregnancy my midwife did notice I was measuring large-for-dates and did many ultrasounds. She predicted DD to be about 10.5 lbs. My second child was large also, 12 lbs 8oz and born at 41+3, and by c-section because of the issues with DD's birth.

Both my babies were exclusively breastfed, the first until 14 months and the second until 16 months, so to the woman who stated that I MUST have had to give them formula because you can't sustain a baby on breastmilk who is that size, you are very incorrect, because I did with no problems whatsoever.

I do not know if there is a family history related to large babies; I'm adopted as is my mom. Both pregnancies physically exhausting, but I have never known anything different, so it might just be normal. However, I know I will not be having more children. I know the risks associated with macrosomia later in life for the babies. Both my kids are healthy and thriving, but they're still very large. DD is 6 years old, 47 inches tall and weighs 58 lbs. DS is 3 years old and 40 inches tall and weighs 43 lbs. I weigh 125 now and I don't know if I have a family history of diabetes, but we are very careful about what we eat just in case.

Thanks for all the replies. It's very interesting that there's so a wide array of opinions out there, and even those who believe that having a c-section is not giving birth. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth?s=t

birth

an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring;childbirth parturition: a difficult birth.

If you don't believe that a c-section is giving birth, you are certainly incorrect. Last I checked, that's still bringing forth offspring; it's still the act of being born. Therefore, a c-section is not a vaginal or natural birth, but it's still giving birth :).

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Replies (61-70):
Danita42
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Well I think birth is a proud moment, why not brag about it!
CafeMom Tickers
hippiemamax3
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM
A lot pf people equate big babies with being healthy. The fact is, really big babies are often very unhealthy at birth.
My 11 lb boy was a NICU baby :-(

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess some people relate their children's weight with good health, and like any parent find things to brag about because they're proud. Plus, most people usually ask how much the baby weighed at birth. I find birth weight chatter nothing to get annoyed over.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM
7 moms liked this

Some of you women are real bitches and need to get over yourselves.  Whether she shot the kid out of her twat or was ripped open to get them out it's still called GIVING BIRTH.  Some women are unable to give birth naturally so they HAVE to give birth via c-section.  This should not in any way, shape or form make them less proud of their accomplishment of becoming a mother.  I feel sorry for some of your children to be being raised by such ignorant, small minded individuals.

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Who said it makes you less of a mother?  If women make themselves feel that way because they couldn't do it that is awful, what a complex they must have :(   

I am just proud that I am one of those women who can do it.  Like you said, a lot can not.  

I giggle at those who argue that just because they had an epidural doesn't mean it wasn't a natural birth.  It wasn't. I am proud to be in the elite "natural birthers" club and unless someone had an all natural birth they don't understand why.  There was a woman on here who was arguing that just because she had an epidural (that worked btw) doesn't mean that she didn't deliver naturally.  No, that is exactly what it means.  She just delivered vaginally.  A lot of women deliver that way, it's not a big deal.  Now with no meds, that is amazing, no matter the size of your baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think giving birth natural is something to be proud of but bragging, im not sure. My first was epidural, my second was all natural. 5 hours of labor and a VERY fast, crazy delivery. It was an AMAZING empowering experience I cant even describe, and im so proud of myself for doing it, and Im doing it again with my 3rd. However, I dont think all women can do it, (and some simply dont want to). My SIL in law for example I KNOW she couldnt. she's pregnant with her first and already complains about EVERYTHING and all she does is go to work (sitting in an office) and go home and sleep. Everything hurts and everything is so hard. She's only like 12 weeks btw, so yeah, I dont think she can take laboring and delivering a baby all natural. So im not going to brag about my natural birth and make her feel like less of a mother because in the end, how you choose to give birth doesnt make you a better mother. 

Quoting Elyce225:

I guess you just don't understand the awesomeness of having an all natural birth and delivering a big baby.  It's definitely an accomplishment, most women can not do it.  

I birthed an 11 pound baby all natural (not even an IV).  I also birthed a 10+ lb baby with an epidural, and then I had two c-sections.  The other three are not brag worthy but the natural birth is.  

I guess you would understand if you were able to do it *shrugs*.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Natural birth is hard. It IS somethibg to be proud of, imo.

Quoting kmorales7690:

meh, mine were both small, 6lbs 13oz and 5lbs8oz, they were both pushed out with no medication, yea I'm proud!!

Liz132
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM
6 moms liked this

Because I'm proud of it, I'm proud and amazed at the fact my body grew such a beautiful big strong baby boy. I worked hard to grow him, I was meticulous about eating healthy and taking care of myself, I waited what felt like forever until he was finally ready to be born at 42 weeks, I worked hard to birth him I was in the beginning stages of labor for days and did everything I could to ensure him a wonderful entrance into the world. I had an amazing homebirth with my 10 and 1/2 pound baby. I'm proud of him and I'll shout it from the rooftops if I want to.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM

In CM land you are more of a woman if you push out a big baby with no drugs, no c-section, etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I get what you are saying. Also I hate it when you say how long you were in labor for and then someone ALWAYS has to chime in and say "YAA..I was in labor for 10 hours longer.." People always try and top someone else's pain and experience to get the spot light on them. Just try and ignore it.. catty women will always be among us.. lol

dawnjohnson5
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM
I agree.

Quoting Elyce225:

I guess you just don't understand the awesomeness of having an all natural birth and delivering a big baby.  It's definitely an accomplishment, most women can not do it.  

I birthed an 11 pound baby all natural (not even an IV).  I also birthed a 10+ lb baby with an epidural, and then I had two c-sections.  The other three are not brag worthy but the natural birth is.  

I guess you would understand if you were able to do it *shrugs*.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:41 AM

My child was born a full 2 months early via emergency c section. The doctors prepared us for the worst,warned us of how "tiny" she would be,  made arrangements to have her sent to another hospital right after birth, etc. The child came out 6lbs1 oz and HUNGRY.  She was just fine.  Yeah, I stopped telling my birth story simply because no matter what I said, the other person could top it:) I have heard it all......you must have been farther along than you thought (impossible)........surely she weighed much less and the doctors baby scale was just off.....factor in inlaws input........she doesnt belong to your DH.......and my most fav?.......when I denied everything they said?  yeah........well you really didnt give birth, you had a c section:)  Yeah, I change subjects like a pro when anyone even mentions birth to me:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN