Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how many of you have traveled by train?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies

my sister is getting married next summer in calif and we live in texas. we usually travel by plane, but after looking into it, we saw its cheaper to take a train then to fly. it will take longer. but we also have 2 small children and figure it will be easier to deal with them on a train then plane anyways as there is more room for them to move and walk around.

anybody else travel by train? any advice or suggestions/tips? I see they do have dining cars and that. but can you bring snacks along too? also I see you can get just seats or a family room for sleeping. although that adds on another $800. is it worth it? or are the seats just fine? our trip will end up being a total of 28 hours but its straight thru. no changing trains anywhere. what do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2ameira
by captain underpants on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM
I.traveled from pa to Niagara falls ny. it was horrible. i boarded 10 pm the night before and.didn't get there til 3pm the next day. its only a 5 hour drive. and.the seats are.uncomfortable to sleep in. I'd get a fancy room thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I take the train every day to work lol.  I've also taken train rides from Boston to NYC a few times. I wouldn't do a long train ride the kids might get antsy. I'd fly if I were you.

minnesotamommie
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

they are long, the seats are as uncomfortable as airplane seats and trains are filled with creepy people, plus train schedules are NEVER ontime. I would suck it up and pay for plane tickets

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I just got off a plane with two small kids. It's really not that bad. Just take your car seats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
night.magic
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Only train I've ever been on is the one at the zoo. But it sure seems like a fun way to travel, and I would love to do that one day with my dh and dd's.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Quoting mama2ameira:

I.traveled from pa to Niagara falls ny. it was horrible. i boarded 10 pm the night before and.didn't get there til 3pm the next day. its only a 5 hour drive. and.the seats are.uncomfortable to sleep in. I'd get a fancy room thing

ya our train would leave at like 2am on a thursday and not get there till like 6am the next day. so just over 24 hours. will be a long train ride. but a lot less stressful then flying. flying would only take 8 hours, but we would have to change plain several times. hard to do when you have 2 kids, 1 of them being an infant. it costs an extra $800 to get a private sleeping room. but might be worth it with the kids.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM
This. I'm from Philly... trains are a part of life.

Take the plane, seriously.

I took the train from philly to newport news and i thought i was going to die from ass pain.

Quoting owl0210:

I take the train every day to work lol.  I've also taken train rides from Boston to NYC a few times. I wouldn't do a long train ride the kids might get antsy. I'd fly if I were you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I use trains all the time but I am in Europe. My brother took a train from Dallas to Waco and the trains are never on time. He didn't complain about it. I personally would pay the extra for a plane ticket 28 hours is way to long. I have to fly 15 16 hours when I go back to the states with my son and it is hell! I usually time it where he sleeps on the plane but it is still hell when he is awake. I can't imagine having more kids. We do buy gifts for every hour to keep him occupied but he is always trying to get out of his seat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Quoting owl0210:

well 1 child would be 10 yrs old and the other would be an infant. the 10 year old will be fine. he can just bring his dsi and my husband has a kindle plus we can bring a dvd player. he won't be an issue. he is easy to entertain. I just think on a train it would be easier cuz if by chance he does get a little antsy its easier to get up and move around. there is space to get up and walk around. a plane you are just stuck in your seat. plus we are worried with the baby and the air pressure her ears getting messed up and her getting fussy. a train we wouldn't have that problem. we can get up and walk her around much easier. plus get the private sleeper room if we want to.

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM
I would rather travel by train anytime. I know because I have been on planes, trains, buses and cars. I enjoy getting to see the country, My back doesn't hurt as bad when I get there, and you don't have to go through all the security. Though I have yet to travel long distance with DS so I am not sure about that part.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN