Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To the people who spend $1000 on food every month.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What in the world do you buy?!?! I absolutely HATE grocery shopping, so when I went out today I tried to buy enough to last us 3 weeks or so. Obviously I'm going to have to buy things like milk and produce before then, but I still spent less than $200 AND even bought snack stuff that we don't normally buy. I feel like I'd have to be eating steak and lobster every day to spend that much haha!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Replies (101-110):
RelaxedMom2-3
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

About $600 a month for everything. This is for a family of 5.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM

We host bbq's about once a month.

We buy only fresh produce.

That includes wine & beer.

But it isnt that high every month.

KristinRox
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I personally have to buy food for 6 people. So food is expensive. I also live in Canada, where things like a gallon of milk is 8+ dollars, and some boneless skinless chicken is 15 dollars for 4-6 pieces. Things are a lot more expensive here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Ok lol. Looking way too into it. What in the world do you buy meant just that lol. Considering we only have a family of 4, 2 being toddlers I don't think $1000 is unreasonable at all for your family size. Calm down. I know this is a bitch women group, but that's not what this was.

Quoting Momof5kids84:

Sure, you're not judging. Your post starts off by asking, "What in the world do you buy?". How am I supposed to take that? Well, I buy food, juice, bottled water, juicy juice boxes for my DD's lunchbox. I buy cleaning stuff, laundry detergent, baby food pouches, toiletry items, diapers, wipes, etc. It adds up. We do not drink coffee.

Quoting Anonymous:

Whoa. Where did I say anything bad about spending that much? I just simply asked what they buy. Do you need a coffee break? Lol. Seriously though, you can go through each comment, not once did I "judge", nor did I say anything about affording it.

Quoting Momof5kids84:

I'm feeding a family of 7 almost 8. I spend around a $1000 a month or less. I don't think it 's your business to judge by how much I spend. I can afford it.

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I wonder this too. We spend 400 a month and we buy all organic fresh items, butcher shop meat.
Ireallydontcare
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I'm sorry but ummm people have different size families. It isn't that hard to do.

Mrs.Miller11
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I spend about $300 a month between food and household supplies. We are a family of 4. We eat very healthy and most of my "budget" goes to fruits an veggies.
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:01 PM

this month i have spent 1050 on beef, and 75 at the grocery store and I dont plan on shopping again until November.

raye-chan
by Raye on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Sounds like here, too. I'm up in MO and our prices vary with each store. On average that's how much that stuff will start out at. >.< 

Quoting mom2four1978:

South central TX in a rural area. But the city near here is even more expensive.

Quoting raye-chan:

Sounds like the price of milk and eggs here. Where are you guys at if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting mom2four1978:

Some of it depends on where you live and family size.

We spend 1200.00 a month and I watch the ads and bargin shop.

We are a family of 7 and a gallon of milk here is 3.86. Eggs 2.78 a dozen

It really breaks down to only about 6.00 a day per person.

Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Well, first of all, I have two teenagers that I homeschool and my husband works full time from home.  So I have a house full all the time.  My husband and son can eat more than I even knew was humanly possible.  Add onto that, my husband is a very picky eater and really picky about his food...even though he wants tons of it.  Some of the things he wants to have on hand all the time are name brand items, some of them are convenience items.  Those types of things add up fast in the $$ department.  I also buy my pantry staples in bulk, so when I buy those, it will add quite a bit to the monthly food bill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured