Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To the people who spend $1000 on food every month.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What in the world do you buy?!?! I absolutely HATE grocery shopping, so when I went out today I tried to buy enough to last us 3 weeks or so. Obviously I'm going to have to buy things like milk and produce before then, but I still spent less than $200 AND even bought snack stuff that we don't normally buy. I feel like I'd have to be eating steak and lobster every day to spend that much haha!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
MomX3LJC
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this
There are 6 of us...me, df, 5 yr old dd, 3 yr old ds, 2 yr old ds and nb ds..we spend 600/month. Fresh produce is expensive, so better quality meats, not necessarily steak and lobster
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
josie1982
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM
We spend about $800/month on fresh foods it costs more for healthy eating then it does to buy tv dinners. We buy in bulk cuz it lasts longer and fresh fruits and vegetables cost more then canned (unless you have a garden) we buy "junk food" ei soda fruit snacks chips exc maybe once ever 3 months. My kids gets snacks but they are fruit or vegetables meats depending on the kind are expensive including rolls of hamburger but i can make a stake stir fry on $15 enough to feed us an my sisters family. Also it depends on what stores you shop at
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
josie1982
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM
But stake is very rare in my house. Its chicken an pork chops hamburger and once in a while ribs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I stock up on meat when it's on sale, my freezer is always full of meat. This trip it was chicken and sausage that were really good prices, last time it was chicken and turkey. Turkey has mostly replaced all beef in our diet. I try to only buy in-season produce, which is squash, red grapes, and apples right now. I cook and bake mostly everything from scratch, except today I bought quite a few prepared snacks. I love good cheese too....I rarely ever shop at the store that has the good cheese counter, though so that's a rare treat!

Quoting Candi_gal:

What are you buying?

I don't spend 1000 a month if groceries but I spend a pretty penny.

I buy lots of fresh veggies, baking items, stock up on meat if on sale.

Yes I buy some nice cheeses.

I buy a lot of ingredients to make snack items and dips too

kayjayjess
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Ideally, I could spend at least 800 a month. Right now it just varies anywhere from 100 to 130 a week. I am feeding a family of 7 soon to be 8. We go through lots of fresh produce and lots of milk. lol We do not eat steak or lobster.

My children are the source of my strength, frustration, happiness, insanity, sanity, irritability.  They are the definition of unconditional love.

hollinicole
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I spend about 350 a month and that's a family of 4. There is no junk food, tons of fresh fruits and veggies. Also DD allergy free foods. I make everything not box meals here. It just takes planning
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Its just us 3 so its $280 per month not including things for the home
mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

same here and I am feeding 4. 2 (againg) adults and 2 (growing) teenage boys plus the occasional visitors. I even aim for more like $500 but milk and cereal get me.

Quoting kde216:

We spend 600/month. That includes cleaning supplies and all other miscellaneous household items plus groceries.

friendlymom5
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I spend around 1100 a month on a family of 6 including 2 teenagers. And I swear most of their friends lol. No steak or lobster here but I think the majority is spent on fresh fruits and veggies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM
I buy everything fresh too, I just focus on in season. I actually think its cheaper to cook everything from scratch. We don't do tv dinners or anything like that, but today I did buy cereal (super rare in our house) and little Debbie snacks. I shop the best front page deals at 3-4 stores each time I go shopping. I don't know how big your family is, but I bet you could get it lower! Don't assume that just because I don't spend a lot that we eat tv dinners all day....you know what they say about people who assume....

Quoting josie1982:

We spend about $800/month on fresh foods it costs more for healthy eating then it does to buy tv dinners. We buy in bulk cuz it lasts longer and fresh fruits and vegetables cost more then canned (unless you have a garden) we buy "junk food" ei soda fruit snacks chips exc maybe once ever 3 months. My kids gets snacks but they are fruit or vegetables meats depending on the kind are expensive including rolls of hamburger but i can make a stake stir fry on $15 enough to feed us an my sisters family. Also it depends on what stores you shop at

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)