Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To the people who spend $1000 on food every month.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What in the world do you buy?!?! I absolutely HATE grocery shopping, so when I went out today I tried to buy enough to last us 3 weeks or so. Obviously I'm going to have to buy things like milk and produce before then, but I still spent less than $200 AND even bought snack stuff that we don't normally buy. I feel like I'd have to be eating steak and lobster every day to spend that much haha!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Replies (151-160):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I have no idea, I think their owned by Hannaford, which is a New England company. We have Save a lot too, and I agree, it is really gross! I have no idea where Red Lion is, but I do know it gets more expensive the further east you go.

Quoting dewh2007:

No we do not... we have a. Food 4 less and save a lot.. but save a lot food are really cheap..... BUT really gross :( lol.. and is it just in western pa or all over? My friend lives in red lion pa and its soo exspensive there it seems like!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, we're in Western PA and our region definitely has it easier than a lot of the country! Do you have a Bottom Dollar yet? They just opened this past year in our area and that store has helped me lower my bill really significantly!

Quoting dewh2007:

That is true on living! We are from ohio to me compared to other states we have it easy. We too have 2 toddlers. I try to get our cost lower but never seems to happen :( lol

Quoting Anonymous:

We're a family of 4 also, although both of the children are toddlers. I don't buy according to what we're going to eat from week to week, I strictly only shop the sales at 3-4 stores, stock up on the things with the best prices, and plan meals from there. For instance, chicken was on sale last week so I bought enough to last at least a few months. From what I've seen in the replies, it also helps that where we live seems to have a very low cost of living compared to other places.

Quoting dewh2007:

We spend anywhere from 550-650 a month but that is also including other stuff like cleaning things bathroom/shower stuff.. would be nice if we could spend less than 200 for 3 weeks! Lol.. how many people are in your family though? We are a family of 4... with our groc. Bill it also includes the kids lunches for when they go to their baby sitters so yeah 1000 bucks I couldn't imagine!

SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM
We're pretty ridiculous. We love our filets and high end cheeses
PinkieRed
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM
I spend about $800 a month at the grocery store for a family of 4 (2 adults, 14 and 9 year old kids).

I buy cat food, household supplies (toliet paper, laundry detergent, etc), OTC allergy medicine for me and my kids, and most tolietries, when I grocery shop, too, though.

I do about 95% of my shopping at a locally owned discount grocery store here in Ohio (Marc's), and they also happen to have the cheapest prices on household supplies, so it just makes sense to get that stuff there along with food. Their prices overall for food and most other items are about comparable to Walmart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moniagee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I spend on average $230 a week on groceries. I have 4 growing boys, 3 of them are going through puberty, so they eat A LOT! Not to mention me, my dd, and dh, so that's a family of 7. The majority of the family is lactose intolerant, so we buy about 4-5 gallons of lactaid and silk a week. Then dh takes a lunch to work, which is usually a couple of sandwiches, fruit, and a bottle of water or juice. Dd takes a lunch to school. The boys take one occasionally. The kids eat breakfast at home, and a large bag of cereal lasts about 2 days so I get 3 of them. And we won't start on dinner.

That's how I almost spend $1000 a month on food and the kids are all healthy and not overweight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moniagee
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM
I'm in Ohio, and Save-A-Lot is disgusting! I may tom in there for some bread or some crackers, but that's it.

Quoting dewh2007:

No we do not... we have a. Food 4 less and save a lot.. but save a lot food are really cheap..... BUT really gross :( lol.. and is it just in western pa or all over? My friend lives in red lion pa and its soo exspensive there it seems like!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep, we're in Western PA and our region definitely has it easier than a lot of the country! Do you have a Bottom Dollar yet? They just opened this past year in our area and that store has helped me lower my bill really significantly!

Quoting dewh2007:

That is true on living! We are from ohio to me compared to other states we have it easy. We too have 2 toddlers. I try to get our cost lower but never seems to happen :( lol

Quoting Anonymous:

We're a family of 4 also, although both of the children are toddlers. I don't buy according to what we're going to eat from week to week, I strictly only shop the sales at 3-4 stores, stock up on the things with the best prices, and plan meals from there. For instance, chicken was on sale last week so I bought enough to last at least a few months. From what I've seen in the replies, it also helps that where we live seems to have a very low cost of living compared to other places.

Quoting dewh2007:

We spend anywhere from 550-650 a month but that is also including other stuff like cleaning things bathroom/shower stuff.. would be nice if we could spend less than 200 for 3 weeks! Lol.. how many people are in your family though? We are a family of 4... with our groc. Bill it also includes the kids lunches for when they go to their baby sitters so yeah 1000 bucks I couldn't imagine!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MTATMA
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I get 2 1/2 dozen of eggs for $4 and milk for $1.99. That is expensive!!

Quoting Kitschy:

I spend 5.98 for a gallon of milk and 3.98 for 1 dozen eggs. :(

Quoting raye-chan:

An hour from north kc.

Quoting mom2four1978:

Where at in MO? I spent the first 27 years of my life in MO. My whole family still lives there.

Quoting raye-chan:

Sounds like here, too. I'm up in MO and our prices vary with each store. On average that's how much that stuff will start out at. >.< 

Quoting mom2four1978:

South central TX in a rural area. But the city near here is even more expensive.

Quoting raye-chan:

Sounds like the price of milk and eggs here. Where are you guys at if you don't mind me asking?

Quoting mom2four1978:

Some of it depends on where you live and family size.

We spend 1200.00 a month and I watch the ads and bargin shop.

We are a family of 7 and a gallon of milk here is 3.86. Eggs 2.78 a dozen

It really breaks down to only about 6.00 a day per person.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerd.stuff
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM
I spent $70 for the week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MTATMA
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I spend anywhere from $100 to $200 a week. Most of my cost is meat because we eat only halal. Once a year we buy a whole lamb and I buy chicken and beef when its on sale at the halal store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hip2it
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM
I consider all household items like cleaner and paper products part of the grocery bill.

We eat organic, and I don't buy boxed meals. I mean, I guess it's not technically a grand for a mo th of groceries, since I always have food in the house. More that I go grocery shopping and spend that much every month. I like to stock up on stuff, though, so if it's on sale I'll buy a ton of it. Maybe that's where it adds up.
robertzica
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM

We probably spend that amount of money... sometimes a little bit more, some times a little bit less. We buy organic foods. Most of them vegetables (raw); vegetable oils (olive oil, coconut oil, hamp oil, flaxseed oil, grapeseeds oil) - I know it's very important to buy unrefined and organig oils even though they cost lots of money. 

We choose to eat as healthy as possible and... to spend less money in health care. Last year for a family of 4 we paid $1,200 in health (including some dental care). So... I pay more for food but we are healthy. I prefer this.

Quoting Anonymous:

What in the world do you buy?!?! I absolutely HATE grocery shopping, so when I went out today I tried to buy enough to last us 3 weeks or so. Obviously I'm going to have to buy things like milk and produce before then, but I still spent less than $200 AND even bought snack stuff that we don't normally buy. I feel like I'd have to be eating steak and lobster every day to spend that much haha!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)