Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To the people who spend $1000 on food every month.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What in the world do you buy?!?! I absolutely HATE grocery shopping, so when I went out today I tried to buy enough to last us 3 weeks or so. Obviously I'm going to have to buy things like milk and produce before then, but I still spent less than $200 AND even bought snack stuff that we don't normally buy. I feel like I'd have to be eating steak and lobster every day to spend that much haha!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
Aamy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM
We spend $400. to $500. a month , maybe a little more bit we buy tons of fresh veggies and fruits. During the summer its less cause the farmer markets have the stuff cheaper. We don't buy box meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Actually I cook almost everything from scratch, it's way cheaper. That processed stuff is expensive! I bought cereal for the first time today in probably a year or more. I buy a lot of turkey and chicken and I try to focus on in season produce. I shop 3-4 different stores each trip and stock up on the stuff that's on sale. Thanks for the cool assumption though =)

Quoting Anonymous:

What do YOU buy that for 3 weeks you spent under $200. ?? Lots of boxed meals ?? Processed crap ??

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM
we spend that much a month ....sometimes a little less, sometimes it's been more. But we are family of 7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Wow. We spend less than half that and eat about 90% organic. That's insane to me. We eat very well too and love to cook, crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Twix.Leigh
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM
We spend about 1-200/trip, with maybe a couple 20 $ trips between. Mind you our oldest is only 3 and our youngest only eats boob, and my mum hardly eats at all.
If I spent that much, I'd need to like... Have a huge freezer lol. And more cupboards.
Oh and a much bigger stroller haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Candi_gal
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM
That's smart buying in season.
I do also make dinner for my husbands crew once a week for 7 men so I know that throws a bit more into groceries.

Quoting Anonymous:

I stock up on meat when it's on sale, my freezer is always full of meat. This trip it was chicken and sausage that were really good prices, last time it was chicken and turkey. Turkey has mostly replaced all beef in our diet. I try to only buy in-season produce, which is squash, red grapes, and apples right now. I cook and bake mostly everything from scratch, except today I bought quite a few prepared snacks. I love good cheese too....I rarely ever shop at the store that has the good cheese counter, though so that's a rare treat!

Quoting Candi_gal:

What are you buying?

I don't spend 1000 a month if groceries but I spend a pretty penny.

I buy lots of fresh veggies, baking items, stock up on meat if on sale.

Yes I buy some nice cheeses.

I buy a lot of ingredients to make snack items and dips too

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM
We spend over $1000. Our main expense is cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels and my 1 son has to have a special protein shake which costs $40/week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sami....
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I spend about $400 a month and it's just 2 of us. (My 9 year old and I) we buy organic though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I love that you said "eats boob" I'm totally stealing that phrase haha

Quoting Twix.Leigh:

We spend about 1-200/trip, with maybe a couple 20 $ trips between. Mind you our oldest is only 3 and our youngest only eats boob, and my mum hardly eats at all.

If I spent that much, I'd need to like... Have a huge freezer lol. And more cupboards.

Oh and a much bigger stroller haha

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I freakin wish it was steak and lobster!!  But no, we have four teenagers and our house is the hangout zone, SO despite my bulk purchases, the cabinets are cleaned weekly for me by the swarming locust.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)