Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Paying child support for joint custody isn't fair

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 498 Replies
8 moms liked this
I think moms that make a dad pay child support when dad has the kids the same amount of time is wrong. (50/50 or Every other week,edit:which EQUALS same amount if nights at each home 15 days and 15 days or about that)Why would a mom feel "okay" taking it?

I believe in CS but not in this type of situation. What do you think?

(I think I also think this because some BMs get a very good amount if CS)(my Dh's ex wife gets $1000 and my Dh has his sons 15 days,pays insurance,ecas,clothing,school lunch).
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM
I think no. Because if its the same amount if time,Dad shouldn't pay BM to do the same thing dad is doing. ESP. If both homes have to be "equal".

Or if BM does take cs then BM should pay all clothes and stuff for kids. Anythibg and everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. CS makes no sense in a 50/50 arrangement.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM
41 moms liked this

Child support is there so that children have the same ammenities at both houses - so it's not like "oh, Mom's poor, Dad's not" .. CS is to equal out that bs and give kids stability. 

That said, my ex and I have 50/50. For the duration of our marriage, the kids and I were used to having a household income of 95k a year. So just because I left an abusive asshole, went back to school and now only make 30k on my own (as opposed to their dad's 95k) they are supposed to suffer because of it? No. Therefore, he pays child support so that the kids have access to the same lifestyle at both houses. 

*JessT5280*

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. There shouldn't be CS if each parent has equal time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nellyb118
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I could see it being okay if mom does all the clothes shopping, pays for after school activities,& all those extras. Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree. If you have the children for equal amounts of time, neither parents should have to pay child support.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM
I agree. My SO has to pay CS to his ex's parents but she doesn't. When they had 50/50 custody he still had to pay her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Pfft, don't say this in some of the other groups here. They'll just jump down your throat with things like "if he doesn't want to pay CS then he's a horrible father" and "he should ALWAYS pay CS" and "if he's not paying CS then he's not supporting his child and should lose custody!"

Luna091306
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM
That's how we do it. 50/50 and neither pay support. Everything is split 50/50.

But eow isn't equal time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN