Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

serious question about getting a toddler checked if any signs of molesation(sp?)***edit****update2**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
First sorry if spelling is wrong or w.e.. but alright. To make a long story short can a grandparent bring their grandaughter into the er or stat care to see if the child has been molested without either parent knowing??

My dad had got a message on facebook from some person who we do know know saying that this guy (my brothers ex boyfriend) is molesting my niece. This message was back around sept 16th and my dad had just read this.my brother nor his ex knows my dad had got this email and right now we are not sure if this is some sick joke or what. But my brother has been thru so much shit recently that my parents do not want to tell him this incase its not true. So my mom is wanting to take my niece(of course her granddaughter) in tomorrow to get checked and see if there are any signs...

So can a grandparent do that without the childs parents knowing?

*edit*
Just for the people who are calling me stupid or anything! First id like to say I was just asking a question.. now so people can know! I want and think (know) my brother needs to know.. I even keep telling my mom this.. after keep going I believe she is telling him tonight... now to answer next question (cuz I'm sure it will be asked) I can't tell him because this isn't a phone kind of conversation. I have no way of getting where he is.. plus he lives with my dad.. so for people saying we are being stupid or w.e else.. no.. I believe my brother should know I want him to know. But I'm not letting that conversation be over the phone so I'm pushing my mom to tell my brother!

*update 2*
My mom is telling my brother tomm and she is going to suggest to my brother that my niece gets checked out...
My mom had called my brothers ex (keep in mind they are still married) and the boyfriend picked up and said that she wasn't there my mom asked who it was and he said its her fiance... so there is one more thing to bring my brother down :(.. him and his ex(wife) are not even divorced yet and she is already engaged will update when know more but for all the people who said we are stupid. No were not.. we are wanting to protect our loved ones. Nothing stupid about that
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caitlinsmom09
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Bump!
Im not sure but I hope it's not true :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beachbabies6
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

not sure

ElitestJen
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Not unless she has guardianship.  She's not authorized to any health information or to consent to treatment.  It is against privacy laws.

jessimicuh
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM
I hope this isn't true.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I don't know.

If they bring the child in and say the suspect abuse the first thing the ER is going to do is call social services.

Why don't they tell your brother? Obviously he isn't with his ex anymore, he should want to have it checked out.

Personally, the best person to check is the child's pediatrician, not a stranger in the ER.

CrazyMommy87
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

BUMP!

ALWsMomma
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM
No but she could make a report with cps or the police and they would investigate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM
no...only parents and legal guardians . If they suspect things they can only call CPS
xpectingmama10
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM
My dad has taken my daughter to get her shots a few times and when she's sick if I couldn't go. But I'm not sure of that because it's a serious situation. I hope your niece is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Honestly I don't see why not? My grandparents didn't have legal custody or guardianship of me but took me to the ER/hospital a few times growing up and we never had any problems... but again, it could entirely depend on what state you're in.

I will mention though that unless the abuse has been severe enough to leave scarring (like penetration), or the abuse has been recent, like within 24-48 hours, test results may be inconclusive. I know your brother's been through a lot of tough times recently but regardless of test results it should still be mentioned to him... if the results are negative that doesn't necessarily mean the allegations are false. Your niece should be supervised at all times his ex-BF is around until you're ABSOLUTELY sure there's no reason to worry. It's kind of hard to do that if your brother is left out of the loop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN