Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you know anything about wood-burning fire places?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

So we got ours started for the first time this season, and at first all the smoke was in the house. It took opening a bunch of windows and messing with the flu a bunch to fix it... which actually DROPPED the temp of the house, to 65*.

We've since had the fire going since about 2pm. Three hours or so? And the house temp is still 65*. It burns pretty good, we have lots of wood to burn, etc, but we can't get the main floor temp to go up. My nose is runny and I'm wearing a billion layers. I don't wanna turn the heat on because tomorrow it's supposed to be 60's and 70's!

Anyway, I was hoping to at least have a nice warm living room...what kind of wood should we be burning? How can we generate more heat without getting crazy amounts of smoke?

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Make sure you're using very dry wood. The drier it is, the less smoke you'll have. Also, is it just a regular fire place, or is it one that is designed to help with heating?

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Crack the windows or all the heat goes up the chimney.

I miss my woodburning fireplace. (drifts off into daydream)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:03 PM
No but a woodburning stove, which you install in the fireplace, are great and will help heat the room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN