Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

punishments?!?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM
  • 8 Replies
I would like to know everyone's consequences or punishments for your LOs when they misbehave. And their ages too please so everyone understands.

Currently mine is timeout on beds. Mine are 2,3,4,9. But my 4 year old is pushing my buttons. He will serve his time and do the same thing again. Or it takes forever to get him to his bed because he's throwing a fit, by the time he gets there he probably forgets why

I'm looking for new ideas.

I will add that they don't listen to me very well and I know it is my fault. When their dad got sick (cancer) they basically moved in with my parents where there was basically no punishment. Then their dad passed away and I was lost and didn't really punish either because I was like a zombie and it was easier honestly. And they had been through so much. So for the last year or so I've been trying to correct the problem and he is still pushing my patients.

Sorry so long.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
divamommao
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing is you must follow thru. If you do it one day you gotta do it the next day.

I spank when needed. but the only thing they get spankings for is lying (big no no in my house), and something that can hurt them or some one else very bad..

other than that I take things away.. toys, games, tv, touch pads, outside privalages. Stuff they like I take away when they do not listen.. and it works for most of mine..

Mine are 9, 6 (almost 7), 4, 3, and almost 11 months..

pce68
by Patti on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I don't really have specific consequences,like time out. I usually base it on what the misbehavior was,kind of like make the time fit the crime. My dd is 13 now, by the way. What kinds of things is your 4 yr old getting in trouble for?

iheartmycinco
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Gonna have to try the taking away thing. Maybe if he starts losing things he will know I'm serious. Thanks.

Quoting divamommao:

The thing is you must follow thru. If you do it one day you gotta do it the next day.

I spank when needed. but the only thing they get spankings for is lying (big no no in my house), and something that can hurt them or some one else very bad..

other than that I take things away.. toys, games, tv, touch pads, outside privalages. Stuff they like I take away when they do not listen.. and it works for most of mine..

Mine are 9, 6 (almost 7), 4, 3, and almost 11 months..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a seven month old so there are no punishments here. Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

We've taken to just grounding and taking away of privileges.

They are 6 & 7.

iheartmycinco
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM
He acts up all the time, just to do it. He will look at me and do something he isn't suppose to. He is very mean to his siblings sometimes. He doesn't know when to stop talking. He will not stop running his mouth when getting in trouble or laughing (i hate,that). And lately he has been lying. I understand a small child lying to am extent, to get out of trouble but he makes stuff up to try to get the other kids in trouble. I thinly part of it is for attention but I'm only one person and I work full time. I do have a BF but he works 6 days a week and usually doesn't get home until bedtime.

Quoting pce68:

I don't really have specific consequences,like time out. I usually base it on what the misbehavior was,kind of like make the time fit the crime. My dd is 13 now, by the way. What kinds of things is your 4 yr old getting in trouble for?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Some of that probably is to get attention. Maybe during your grieving time, he learned that the way to get your attention was to get in trouble. If it is something you can ignore, like the laughing, then do. If it is hurting siblings, then he needs to be removed from the group. I saw on another post someone said they use a time-out room(not their bedroom) and that worked for them better than a corner or time-out chair. I wouldn't use a specific time, just as little or long as you think is necessary. But if he comes out and is mean again, then send him back again until he cooperates and will act nice. 

Lying is tricky. It definitely needs to be addressed, but make sure you only punish if you are absolutely positive he is lying, like if he says his sister ate a cookie but you saw him do it. If you weren't in the room and you are just assuming he's lying then I wouldn't punish, but if you saw it, or someone else you trust saw what happened, then he needs to be punished for that. Possibly take away something he loves for a day or two. Like no tv, or no riding his bike, or playing video games, or take away his favorite toy.

Quoting iheartmycinco:

He acts up all the time, just to do it. He will look at me and do something he isn't suppose to. He is very mean to his siblings sometimes. He doesn't know when to stop talking. He will not stop running his mouth when getting in trouble or laughing (i hate,that). And lately he has been lying. I understand a small child lying to am extent, to get out of trouble but he makes stuff up to try to get the other kids in trouble. I thinly part of it is for attention but I'm only one person and I work full time. I do have a BF but he works 6 days a week and usually doesn't get home until bedtime.

Quoting pce68:

iheartmycinco
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Thank you so much. Things def need to change in my house. I will start a time-out room. A lot of the times I can hear him in the other room saying "im going to tell mom you did (whatever)" and its something I know didn't happen. And he will continue lying after I tell him that I know he's lying. Thanks again for your help.

Quoting pce68:

Some of that probably is to get attention. Maybe during your grieving time, he learned that the way to get your attention was to get in trouble. If it is something you can ignore, like the laughing, then do. If it is hurting siblings, then he needs to be removed from the group. I saw on another post someone said they use a time-out room(not their bedroom) and that worked for them better than a corner or time-out chair. I wouldn't use a specific time, just as little or long as you think is necessary. But if he comes out and is mean again, then send him back again until he cooperates and will act nice. 

Lying is tricky. It definitely needs to be addressed, but make sure you only punish if you are absolutely positive he is lying, like if he says his sister ate a cookie but you saw him do it. If you weren't in the room and you are just assuming he's lying then I wouldn't punish, but if you saw it, or someone else you trust saw what happened, then he needs to be punished for that. Possibly take away something he loves for a day or two. Like no tv, or no riding his bike, or playing video games, or take away his favorite toy.

Quoting iheartmycinco:

Quoting pce68:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)