Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public Schooling is a form of `Welfare'

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't personally care who qualifies for FS, and I don't know too much about it, either.  I do know that there is a lot of FS haters on this site whom find no good reason for anyone to ever receive any type of assistance. 

It got me thinking..........

Public Schooling is a `freebie' too.  Sure. you can say you pay taxes, but those taxes we pay are apparently going to every `public' program in some way, shape or form. When you opt to send your child to a public school anywhere in this country than I'd say you pretty much gave up your right to bitch about families on PA because your child is receiving a `free education'.   I would think that most people would want more for their children than a public school education.  College is NOT the only form of edu that parents should be required to pony up their dollars for. 

(And, no, my children do not attend public school.)

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Replies (421-430):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM
They allow payment plans. Those really in struggle can apply for a fee waiver.

Quoting karisma22:

Wow!  What do they do if you can't pay?  Since, it's required by law to attend school until you are eighteen.

Quoting KairisMama:

150.00 per student here

Quoting karisma22:

Who does it cost? I've never paid to register my daughter for school.

Quoting m0mmyheather:

It costs to even register for public school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM
I dont really care. Im glad its available. In the old days my great grandma stopped going to school when she was 9.
I wish I could afford private, I wish I could be eligible for a loan. But im paying off school loans, that put me in a pickle.
But I believe my son will so great, wherever he attends. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meglet1970
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM

In NH we pay property tax and most of that goes to the school.  So sorry, I was paying for my child's education.  On top of that, she went to private schools (for various reasons) so I paid tuition as well. 

The reason that I say that with certainty is that in NH, we have to wait for the school budgets in order to determine our tax rate.  Each town is different because of the school system in that town.  90% of my property taxes is for the school.  It is even broken out on our tax bill to tell us how much goes to the school and how much goes to the town.

MooreBoysMama
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Definitely not free. It cost me $300 to register my son for kindergarten.

We specifically moved to our town for the schools. We thought they would be better. We were wrong. We are exploring our options for next year.

As far as my taxes.....don't get me started.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Public school is free.  All you have to do is walk and register whether you own or rent, does not matter. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I don't know about you but there is nothing free about my school tax bill every year, it's 95% of the taxes on my homes!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:29 AM
I don't bitch about people who receive PA. I actually stand up for them.
My kids do attened public schools but learning is all they are receiving that is free. I pay for their lunches, school supplies, the stuff they need to for feild trips, all of their art and science projects plus taxes. If that is some form of PA then I'm getting screwed. Just their lunches alone is $130 and that's without breakfast. They eat that at home which again is paid for out of our pocket. I also have to buy snacks for two weeks out of the month for my DS class.
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM
That's funny bc my son's ps is better than any of the privates in the area. Oh well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I agree with the majority of your post... just curious, what income brackets disqualify one from attending public school?  I understand people of certain incomes provide a private school education, but never heard they were ineligible to receive a public school education. 

Quoting booklover74:

Public schools are a form of an entitlement program. The majority of people will never want to believe that and lots of people think states must have public schools. They are free to everyone within certain brackets, are paid for with public money and aren't something you have to pay back. That is the basic definition that seems to fit entitlement programs. Medicare opperates that way, food stamps opperate that way, pell grants opperate that way,  I'm sure other things that people consider welfare or entitlement programs opperate that way as well.

Public education is  a states right. it's been less than 100 years since all states even had a public education system.  The federal government has no authority over public education to tell states you must offer a public education system. States have chosen to for the betterment of the population, like they do roads and jails and such. It isn't a public right for a state to offer a public education system though. The only way it would become a right iis through federal law or constitution. Federal courts rulled, long ago, that public education was strictly a states right not a federal one. States can chose to have one or not.  

happymom582
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

whenever someone judges another the 'man upstairs' always make sure to arrange for the judge to walk in the shoes of the one who they have judged! so don't worry about it. and secondly, whatever resources come into your home or life is no one's freaking business anyway....so why put that out there?

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Quoting happymom582:

whenever someone judges another the 'man upstairs' always make sure to arrange for the judge to walk in the shoes of the one who they have judged! so don't worry about it. and secondly, whatever resources come into your home or life is no one's freaking business anyway....so why put that out there?

OH I so hope that is true. If so, that is the best news I have heard in a long time. That means that every Christian that has told someone that they are going to hell are actually the ones going to hell. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 72 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM

actually its not free,we pay taxes for it,and the school fees,but I do get your point and I do agree people should not whine about others getting help,we get fs 234.00 a month for a family of 5 and Im grateful for every penny,its  huge help to us and without it it would be hard for me to buy as much fresh food,all I can say is dont knock someone untill your in the same position

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)