Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public Schooling is a form of `Welfare'

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't personally care who qualifies for FS, and I don't know too much about it, either.  I do know that there is a lot of FS haters on this site whom find no good reason for anyone to ever receive any type of assistance. 

It got me thinking..........

Public Schooling is a `freebie' too.  Sure. you can say you pay taxes, but those taxes we pay are apparently going to every `public' program in some way, shape or form. When you opt to send your child to a public school anywhere in this country than I'd say you pretty much gave up your right to bitch about families on PA because your child is receiving a `free education'.   I would think that most people would want more for their children than a public school education.  College is NOT the only form of edu that parents should be required to pony up their dollars for. 

(And, no, my children do not attend public school.)

by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Replies (431-440):
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this
No, YOU are the one who is wrong. If she gets PA, then she gets all of it (plus a lot more) back at the end of the year. How can you argue that she is paying federal and state taxes when the amount she pays in doesn't even cover the amount that she gets back? Come on now. Simple math!!!

Quoting jamiegraham:

Yes she most certainly is paying those taxes,I'm not arguing with you, I don't know where you get your info but it is wrong, She pays all of her taxes and that's all i'm saying

Quoting sha_lyn68:

So then in reality she isn't paying federal and state income taxes.

Quoting jamiegraham:

Yes she gets her income tax refund every yr, she has worked in a  nursing home for 9 yrs

Quoting sha_lyn68:

So she doesn't get a refund of everything she paid in (and even a little more)? Sure

Quoting jamiegraham:

My daughter gets foodstmps and works and pays her taxes, so don't tell me Nope

Quoting ElitestJen:

Quoting jamiegraham:

People on Food Stamps do pay federal taxes, and state taxes,Some people do  qualify for food stamps and still work.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Nope.  I pay federal income tax, state income tax, property tax, and car registration taxes. 

People who receive food stamps definitely don't pay federal taxes, probably don't pay state taxes.  They may well pay property and car registration taxes....but they're certainly not footing the bill for all of it. 

Besides, anyone who thinks "free, public school" is free is on crack.  There are supplies, lunches, activity fees, etc. that go into all that shit. 

My daughter goes to a public high school, and so far this year, we've paid out over $2000.  Free, my ass. 

Nope.  Working does not automatically equal paying taxes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
*facepalm*

So what, do you think that big lump sum is just a gift from the government? No, it comes from somewhere, and that somewhere is the pool of tax money. If the amount you pay in doesn't cover the amount you are getting back, you are not paying taxes, period.

Quoting Anonymous:

wow one lump sum at the end of the year vs having it taken out of your paycheck every week (two weeks, whatever).

i think that means they still pay it, regardless of whether they get it back or not.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not when they get it ALL back at the end of the year when taxes are done.

Quoting Anonymous:

If they are working, they are paying taxes.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Nope.  I pay federal income tax, state income tax, property tax, and car registration taxes. 

People who receive food stamps definitely don't pay federal taxes, probably don't pay state taxes.  They may well pay property and car registration taxes....but they're certainly not footing the bill for all of it. 

Besides, anyone who thinks "free, public school" is free is on crack.  There are supplies, lunches, activity fees, etc. that go into all that shit. 

My daughter goes to a public high school, and so far this year, we've paid out over $2000.  Free, my ass. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymom582
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM

shaylan68...not that it is any of your biz, but i am NOT a christian anyway. stuipid.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

public school isn't a freebie sweetheart.. if you rent, or own a house, you are paying property taxes that go to that school system, even if you don't have children!

PA users don't always pay taxes for a large majority of things.. and get additional free income in many different forms (EIC, cash assistance, are they still doing that back to school $200 thing??)

Nothing in life is free.. someone is paying for it!  Remember that... the question is, whether YOU are paying for it, or someone ELSE is paying for it for you!

And trust me, if there were a private school around here that was better than our public schools, I would have put my children into private school.   But they aren't.

Homeschooling is something we do ON TOP of public school.

BTW, I don't care if someone is on PA that NEEDS it..

but I HATE ABUSERS of PA. There is a HUGE difference.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Quoting happymom582:

shaylan68...not that it is any of your biz, but i am NOT a christian anyway. stuipid.

WTF is shaylan68? You might want to learn how to quote people, and how to read and write their names before you go throwing around the word stupid. Did I say you were Christian?

cmabbott
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

So my kids receive "free" schooling although my school taxes are double my property taxes?  I don't think so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
If its free why am I paying 4000 a year of MY MONEY, in property taxes?
happymom582
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

shaylan68....time for a bath, brush your teeth, deodorant and a bedtime story! ha! have a fab day, and you may want to be very careful before accusing people of being christian which your dumb ass probably is.

toodles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM

All of these answers and opinions are interesting and really eye-opening.  I had no idea that there was a income qualification in some places; as where I am, anyone can register at any time of the year and have their children fed for free and enjoy after school care at the expense of working  taxpayers.  You see, most of the students -- since over 80% reside in impoverished households where no one is employed

This is welfare to me.  The typical students parent does not own property, nor work, speak English and is an illegal immigrant.  All these free services have to be paid for somehow,  What happens is the quality of education stinks because the education component is compromised when you are assuming the care every parent should be giving their own children.

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh, no it's not. There are no income qualification to go to public school. Welfare always has an income component. You annoyed me too much with " I would think that most people would want more for their children than a public school education. " to actually want to have any more of a conversation with you.

MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

As I have stated before, I had ZERO idea that in some parts of the country a `school tax' is assessed.  That simply does not happen where I live.  Obviously, if you are paying this it would NOT be a form of welfare.

Quoting cmabbott:

So my kids receive "free" schooling although my school taxes are double my property taxes?  I don't think so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN