Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Phx PD has me CONFUSED!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Today DD and I got in a "paint rub" accident. I've NEVER in my life been in an accident so I was naturally a bit shaken and didn't know what to do. So I called the cops for an accident report. Let me set up the scenario for you:

Me and DD heading Northbound on an access road, the street to the left of me is called Adams, and it's also a one way. For some reason I glance to my left(mind you I'm already driving north it's a green light for me) and I see this little convertible, and it totally hits the back end of my Uplander. We pulled over and I called the PD. She comes over(the sweetest little old lady!) and says sorry she didn't notice it was a one way she wanted to jump on the free way and just didn't see it was a one way. I explain to her ok but I would like an accident report just to be safe, she than says ok, but you barley have any damage my head lights smashed in.

ANYWAY ok so here's where I'm confused by Phx PD..A highway patrol came first and said "I see some paint marks but that's all I see" I say "ok but I'd like a report please" he talks to the little old lady she admits it's her fault going down the one way yada yada yada. HP comes to me asks me what happend and he shows me this drawing of the lanes and asks where she came from yada yada I tell him what she said, and he says " this isn't my area, I'll call phx PD" and takes off.

Phx PD comes, say's it isn't bad, and next time just exchange info and handle it ourselves basically, and that he will exchange insurance information for us. **HERE IS THE WEIRD PART** He hands us I think an accident report all filled out with our insurance information, and says let me guess, You(points at me) hit her..I say "No" he Say's ok "you(little old lady) hit her(me) coming off the ramp" she said "no" I said "She was coming down the one way street, and when she realized it was a one way she tried to sweep over to jump on the freeway" The old lady say's "yes I didn't know yada yada" Officer says If we have the same story the insurance will go smoothly if we don't than it'll be messy, but that b/c she has admitted it here and she doesn't seem like the type that would lie he doesn't think it'll be bad. and he directs us on calling each others insurance and good luck... ***SHE GOT NO KIND OF TICKET WHAT SO EVER*** I'm so puzzled, I live on a one way street and I see cops sitting and waiting for people to turn down it just to issue a ticket, and here not only did someone go down a one way she admitted to causing an accident...and NOTHING..I'm so puzzled. I'm thankful that it wasn't a bad accident and no one was hurt, Had it been a BUSY day like on a weekday (it's always packed with people jumping off and on the free way, and crowded from people getting off of work) the situation would have been worse we could have gotten hit on all sides, so I'm very blessed and thankful that it was so minor.

I'm posting this because 1) I want to and (2) I'm so puzzled as to why no ticket was issued! ****RANT OVER**** Thanks for reading =)

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:21 AM
Replies (41-50):
kde216
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:35 AM
Quoting Mipsy:

That just reminded me of something lol! I was on 60 and a truck and trailer were in front of me, I was following at a safe distance AND A MATRESS FELL OFF THEIR TRAILER AND ALMOST HIT MY CAR! man now that I think of it I've never had as many close encounters as I've had here in this state. can't forget to mention the random items found in this middle of the highways like the tub I saw a couple months ago. Oyy! Glad you were okay :)
kansasmom1978
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:37 AM

He probably did not want to bother. And I am sorry but I would not have wasted the time of police officers for scratched paint. You could have exchanged information and had the insurance deal with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I live in the phoenix area and they do encourage you to handle a situation like that yoursleves but that does leave you wide open if you're blamed. You should always take pics before the vehicles are moved and if I am ever in an accident again I will also videotape the conversation. Here you only have to have one consenting party to videotape a conversation.
I was in a HORRIBLE accident when a drunk driver out partying with her friend caused a pile up on the highway. She hit us at over 65 mph with no braking, I then went into the cars in front of me (we were at a standstill on an overpass) and all four cars were totaled with us taking the brunt of the force of the accident. Anyway, I was badly hurt. My kids were okay, thank goodness. I had a witness that stopped to help us out of my car and told the officers he would give a statement. He was dismissed with no statement, no DUI tests were performed and the cops were all over the girls wondering if they were okay. The two girls jumped out of their hugs SUV giggling and goofing around while I was on an overpass, badly injured with three little kids crying from the accident, the height of the overpass and all the cars going by. It was marked on the accident report that they were drinking but they had no charges, like I said they didn't even test them. I had to have back surgery, I have pain everyday and I had a stroke from a tear in the vertebral artery and almost died. I owe more bills than the itty bitty settlement I received. It turns out that the drivers daddy was an officer in the military and I firmly believe that is why the rest of us were left with this expression o.O as they took her home with zero tickets, zero DUI testing and zero culpability in destroying my life.
Sorry, rant over. I have come across several ass hat officers here and I have always been a supporter of those that serve and protect.

OH MY GOODNESS! I'm so sorry that that happened to you, I had my hand over my mouth gasping while I read this. =( That is the type of accident I DREAD to ever be a part of one day.I'm SHOCKED by the no tickets and zero DUI testing. Your life is forever altered, that's INSANE! I'm so so sorry darling.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM

We will have to look at it more in the AM. She requested I call as well, she didn't have a phone. I didn't see it as a waste of time, because I thought that's what you do when you get hit(little or big). BUT from the officers mouth I NOW know that it's something you could handle without an officer present if no one is injured. 

Quoting kansasmom1978:

He probably did not want to bother. And I am sorry but I would not have wasted the time of police officers for scratched paint. You could have exchanged information and had the insurance deal with it. 

Mipsy
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:42 AM
I've only ever lived here, its all I know, and its bad, lol! I live south of phoenix so we are close to a lot of the fatal I-10 accidents. I can't wait for them to finish making it all 3 lanes!!

Quoting kde216:

Quoting Mipsy:

That just reminded me of something lol! I was on 60 and a truck and trailer were in front of me, I was following at a safe distance AND A MATRESS FELL OFF THEIR TRAILER AND ALMOST HIT MY CAR! man now that I think of it I've never had as many close encounters as I've had here in this state. can't forget to mention the random items found in this middle of the highways like the tub I saw a couple months ago. Oyy! Glad you were okay :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM

tub! oh gosh, I've seen carpets LOL but a tub takes the cake.

Quoting kde216:

Quoting Mipsy:

kde216
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Mipsy:

Yeah I always hear about 10 on the news. An accident almost every morning during the week. Glad they're widening it so its safer for you to travel! And others too, of course!
kde216
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

I couldn't help but chuckle then immediately call DPS and tell them. The lady was like a tub? A bath tub....yes ma'am!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:48 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! It has been 8 yrs and I am having my third surgery coming up. Unfortunately my back is just destroyed. I am in awful pain every day, I have so many physical limitations that it has become difficult to take care of myself and my kids most days. It sucks to feel like I have the body of an 80 yr old at 30. The stroke was bad, I have damage all over but the occipital lobe was hurt the worst. I lost my vision for many months and slowly gained back some of it. My brain doesn't function as it should and that is really difficult to live with. I had started nursing school and always did exceptionally well in all of my classes but now my brain is mush. I cannot think quickly enough or store enough information to be a nurse now. It's difficult to explain a brain injury and just how much it affects you.
I am still amazed at how she got off with nothing and I wish I was well enough back then to sue her. Instead we got a tiny insurance settlement when I am still paying those medical bills off.
It's crazy how one moment things are fine, we were coming from a friends child's bday party, and the next moment you're making your final arrangements. I had less than a 10% chance of survival. The drs told me to get my affairs in order, well told my husband. One dr told me I had a couple days if I was lucky but I was confused by that so it didn't sink in and after that he told them not to say things like that in front of or to me. Let me work on healing. So, I did get the biggest miracle out of that, I am here :)

I'm glad you all are okay, driving here is crazy!! Like I said if it ever happens again, hopefully it doesn't but if it does take pictures and if you can record what happens after the accident. Good luck!
Mipsy
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmao!!!!

Quoting kde216:

Quoting Anonymous:

I couldn't help but chuckle then immediately call DPS and tell them. The lady was like a tub? A bath tub....yes ma'am!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)