Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's stupid to renew marriage vows

Juuuuust kidding!

When is an acceptable amount of time to wait after your first wedding for someone to renew their weddings vows? 5 years? 10, 20 years?

Eta: what about if they went to the court house to get married the first time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Replies (141-150):
CV3
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM

We had an awful wedding so we are definately going to redo it. It was definately not a dream wedding for either of us but then we also think that its silly to have our dream wedding now. So I dont know when, but we will. Maybe ten years.

lovemybabies12
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM
I think 25 years is a good time to do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My grandparents did it on their 50th. It was beautiful. I am so glad they were able to. A couple of years my grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's & he passed away a bit after that.

Quoting ecerka:

My grandparents did it on their 75th wedding anniversary. I think it was the sweetest thing I have every seen and am glad I could be there to see the love they share after all that time.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it is stupid. I think it is just a reason for women to say "look at me" and drag their poor pathetic husbands through a second wedding. Marriage vows do not expire. 

Nunyabusiness
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I wanted to do 10 but ours maybe 15 or 20, dh will still be in college when we have our 10. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I think the "big" anniversaries are the best time to do vow renewals if you had an actual wedding. 10 years, 25 years, 50 years. If you had a really small wedding or got married at the court house because of finances, I can see doing a vow renewal whenever you can afford it. We had a tiny back yard wedding that cost around $200. We're renewing our vows next year for our 13th anniversary (has special meaning to us) at Disney World. I'm so excited!

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM
We are doing it for our 5 years. We decided last min we didn't want to wait and plan a wedding so we just had a small one at his moms in front of the christmas tree. It was perfect but now I'm ready to plan and have big party
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM

We did it at 14 years.

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I actually agree with the title.  If someone wants to do it, fine but it is not something I would ever do. I just don't see the point. You have already made those vows, why should you have to repeat them?

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

We're approaching out 15th, and I definitely think we'll do some sort of renewal for our 20th.  We've had an amazing marriage, 2 amazing kids, so why not celebrate it with the people we love?

CocoaKisses70
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We renew every year.Not a huge wedding, just something very small with immediate family and a few close friends(50 people including my family of 8).We are actually planning to renew next month in our backyard.Its mainly for us to reaffirm our promise and commitment to each other and our marriage.Its pretty casual( no gifts are expected, kids are welcome and you can even wear whatever is comfortable).I'm a chef so I usually cater the event.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)