Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

question for bakers

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

Is there a problem with making pie crust in larger batches or is it better to make it in smaller batches? I need to make three pies.. every recipe is for enough dough for one.. not sure if that means just the bottom.. or bottom and top? lol .. anyway need two just bottoms and one bottom and top..

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Buy roll out crusts they are easy and delicious! You should do them seperately otherwise you will have trouble dividing the dough into exact amounts. Most recipes make a top & bottom crust.

carter210
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I've never done it in bulk. I don't see why it would hurt it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acaisha
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM

I want to try making it from scratch

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Buy roll out crusts they are easy and delicious! You should do them seperately otherwise you will have trouble dividing the dough into exact amounts. Most recipes make a top & bottom crust.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM

This is great, easy be sure to use shortning(crisco) and don't overowrk the crust. It can be double.This is the one I use and grandmom did also.

Original recipe makes 1 single crust

Directions

1. Place flour in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water and mix just until dough comes together. Allow to rest in refrigerator before rolling out.
lindilouwho82
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Alton Brown has the easiest, tastiest most convenient recipe for crusts. In the video I have watched he has made the recipe for two-three pies at a time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN