Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The couple who was going to adopt my baby said they are going to sue me, can they???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 1054 Replies
3 moms liked this

Hopefully, I will be able to talk to the adoption agency tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone knows about this.

What happened was I decided when I found out that I was pregnant, that I was going to put my baby up for adoption. I am 18 and was concerned about my ability to care for the baby on my own. I went to the agency and I picked out a few couples, interviewed them and ended up choosing a couple. This was when I was 12 weeks along. I am now 30 weeks and have been thinking for the past few weeks that I really wanted to keep my baby by Thursday, I just knew I was going to.  I called them up and told them that I was sorry but I changed my mine. Yesterday, the woman called me and said that I have no moral right to this baby anymore because it was already her baby. She said that they are going to sue me for the cost of all the baby stuff they bought and they want me to repay them for everything they bought me (she took me shopping for maternity close, at her insistence, I was fine wearing stretch pants and maternity shirts my sister gave me.) I know that I can keep my baby, I am going back to school and I have a good job as a live in nanny (the couple is from my church, knew of my situation and offered me the job and said if I keep the baby I could have the baby with me while I am there as a live in nanny). I am just really worried because  she said they have spent thousands on baby stuff and there is no way I could pay them back if a judge ordered me too.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasWife
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

check with the agency.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM
17 moms liked this
I understand her anger. But, can't she just take the baby stuff back? And wouldn't the clothes be considered as gifts? Now, any medical costs that they've paid may come back to bite you.

GL.
ElyseFowler
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM
21 moms liked this
I don't believe they can. Couples adopting know a mother can change her mind at any point. Gl
meparty
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM

check with the agency.  they will tell you.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't believe anything can happen to you. They choose to buy stuff.You did  not legally sign over your baby you should be fine.

jella31
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM
13 moms liked this
I think that's a risk couples take when wanting to adopt, in most states moms have a grace period to change their minds. Good luck with everything op!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tangal
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Oh no, I think you should talk to the agency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM
28 moms liked this

IDK but you have to understand their feelings....They were excited about "their" new baby, Spent a lot of money....& you change your mind. I'm sure they are heartbroken & feel you scammed them.  JMO but You should return any of the Baby items they bought for the child (if any) & pay them back for the things they bought you. (if you weren't meaning to scam them you should have no problem doing that)

1likeme
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
They can in theory but it's highly unlikely that the hearing would go in their favor.
MissLeanna
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM
7 moms liked this
No I don't think they can. Adoptions fall threw all the time. An it's my understanding that agencies tell the adoptive parents that prior to looking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)