Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The couple who was going to adopt my baby said they are going to sue me, can they???

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Hopefully, I will be able to talk to the adoption agency tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone knows about this.

What happened was I decided when I found out that I was pregnant, that I was going to put my baby up for adoption. I am 18 and was concerned about my ability to care for the baby on my own. I went to the agency and I picked out a few couples, interviewed them and ended up choosing a couple. This was when I was 12 weeks along. I am now 30 weeks and have been thinking for the past few weeks that I really wanted to keep my baby by Thursday, I just knew I was going to.  I called them up and told them that I was sorry but I changed my mine. Yesterday, the woman called me and said that I have no moral right to this baby anymore because it was already her baby. She said that they are going to sue me for the cost of all the baby stuff they bought and they want me to repay them for everything they bought me (she took me shopping for maternity close, at her insistence, I was fine wearing stretch pants and maternity shirts my sister gave me.) I know that I can keep my baby, I am going back to school and I have a good job as a live in nanny (the couple is from my church, knew of my situation and offered me the job and said if I keep the baby I could have the baby with me while I am there as a live in nanny). I am just really worried because  she said they have spent thousands on baby stuff and there is no way I could pay them back if a judge ordered me too.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Replies (1051-1054):
BigMamaMN
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting onethentwins:

First of all I want to congratulate you on your baby and tell you that I am thrilled that you are not going to lose your baby to adoption.

You don't owe this entitled bitch a thing and she will not be able to sue you for anything. Phew, aren't you glad you didn't entrust her to raise your baby, that was a bullet dodged. 

You are protected by law from choosing adoption until your baby is born and probably sometime after that. You haven't "changed your mind" because by law you cant relinquish a fetus, you have chosen to parent your baby. If they bought baby stuff on the assumption that you were going to choose  adoption, that's their own stupid fault and no judge is going to let them sue you for it. As for any maternity clothes she bought you or anything else they've given you, by law they have to be considered gifts because it's illegal to buy a baby. 

So relax, enjoy your motherhood and new job as a live in nanny:)

BTW, if you do call the agency don't be surprised if they try and talk you back into adoption. Agencies don't make any money until the child to moved from it's birth family to another.

I love you onethentwins.

aschwarz06
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM
No you can change your mind until you hand over the baby. Sometimes you even have a few weeks after, that's my understanding
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onethentwins
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

OP. have you heard anymore from either the paps or the agency?

BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Bump for update

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)