Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 17yo is pretending she's a mom! *update* *update2*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 110 Replies
I'm so confused and don't know what to do. My 17yo DD has always loved babies, always wanted baby dolls for Christmas when she was little, used to help me out with her siblings by choosing outfits or 'helping' me change diapers etc. She also always talked about how much she wants kids of her own, but I guess I didn't realise how much... I borrowed her laptop today. I asked if I could use it, she said yes because she was going to a friends house. Ok, great. I did what I needed to do on there and as I opened up google a chat message popped up in the corner from a name I didn't recognise (and we live in a tiny village, I know everybody) but I didn't click on it until I saw "Answer me! Or is your son...." This confused me, so I opened up the message. From this, I found a link to an account on a mom & baby website, where my DD has set up an account and basically created a whole fake life... It's not her real name but it is her real photo and she's been posting pictures of her baby cousin claiming that he's her son... I don't know what to do or say to her. I know at her age I felt the same way about wanting a child so much, it was all I thought about really. I just have no idea how to handle this. Any advice? Thank you so much.

Thank you all for your advice. I just phoned my DD and asked her to come home. She sounded worried; I haven't told her everything yet, I just told her I wanted to talk to her about something. She'll be back in 15 minutes.

DD and I have spoken. When she got back, she was really nervous. I told her I wanted to talk about something I found on her laptop and showed her the webpage and explained how I ended up on the page. She immediately started crying. I told her that I wasn't angry, I just didn't understand. She told me that ever since she was six she's felt like she should be a mom... And that's all she's ever wanted from life. She wants to go to college too but she wants a child so badly... She assured me she's not actively trying to get pregnant with her BF, that he doesn't want kids yet and doesn't know how much she wants them, but that she's got the implant (she even made me feel, and I know she's not lying). We chatted about how difficult it is to look after a child, she said she didn't really know, and there were a lot of things she hasn't considered... I asked her if she wanted to look after her new baby cousin for the weekend with little help so that's what she's doing next week. However, I did tell her I'm disappointed that she put pictures of him online without permission from her aunt or from me. She agreed to remove the account, and said that she's sorry. I'm not angry with her, I just want the best for her and I don't know whether I should bring up counselling for her... She told me that she often pretends to herself that she's pregnant. I don't know what could cause her to act this way... I've always been there for her, we're really close, her dad's always been around and we've been happily married for over 20 years.... Thank you all for your support and advice.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ShesALady
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Oh wow I really have no clue, but here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiecakesmommy
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Uh...no advice. That's really weird. Delete the account maybe?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Thank you

Quoting ShesALady:

Oh wow I really have no clue, but here's a bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I plan to, I want to show her I know about the account though, we obviously need to sit down and talk

Quoting addiecakesmommy:

pheMOMenon
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Quoting addiecakesmommy:

Traceyssel
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Is her name Lauren?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM
No. Why?

Quoting Traceyssel:

Is her name Lauren?

prissypoptart
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM
oh man, idk about this, I would have her watch her baby cousin for a couple days to see what it's like. Good luck momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM
4 moms liked this
Better a fake mom profile than a real one. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:04 PM
You better talk and fast and take the computer"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN