Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I (nicely) explain that I don't want DS to have a paci?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM
  • 55 Replies
It's a personal preference. I just cannot the sight of a child with a pacifier, binki, whatever you want to call it. Is just me but some family bought him a while pack and I'm worried that, no matter what I say, they're going to give them to him anyway. I cannot stand the thought of him screaming for a paci and me being the bad guy for not giving in even though "me-me" has gotten him attached to it.

So, how do I explain, "please do NOT stick that thing I'm my child mouth" nicely. Any key points of the disadvantages of them?

Again I say THIS IS JUST ME AND MY PREFERENCE. If you just want to be rude, please, just move on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM
3 moms liked this

"I don't want him to have a pacifier."

BekkieBoodle
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Just say that you don't want him to have one. Your his mother. Period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Tell them no. Be blunt, don;t be nice. Make sure the hospital knows this and have it in writing. I did not want my chuld to have one. The nicu nurses gave her one because she was stuck in an isolette and they refused to let me hold her or feed her for five days.

AnnieMcD
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell them that you've made the choice to not let your child have a pacifier, and then stand firm. Every time they bring one into your house, or his presence, throw it away. They'll get sick of wasting the money eventually.

Meanwhile, pacifiers are so much better than thumb/finger sucking. Newborns really need something to suckle on, even when they're not eating, and it can be literally impossible to break a thumb/finger sucker. It becomes a lifelong habit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

And don't have any at the house.  At the hospital they wont give him one without permission.

Quoting BekkieBoodle:

Just say that you don't want him to have one. Your his mother. Period.

MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM
No such thing as nice when it comes to your kids. You gave birth, your choice on how they are raised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arigdon4
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM
It's already on the birth plan "no paci or sugar water without permission"

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell them no. Be blunt, don;t be nice. Make sure the hospital knows this and have it in writing. I did not want my chuld to have one. The nicu nurses gave her one because she was stuck in an isolette and they refused to let me hold her or feed her for five days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wodntulk2kno1
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Just say it. Its really that simple 1 of 4 of my kids took to them and I dont think its that big of an issue. It becomes an issue when they cant give it up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurtleSquish
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM

"we're a pacifier free household, but thank you for the nice thought!"

beautiful.GIRL1
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Id just flat out say i dont want him to use a pacifier and id greatly appreciate if you would respect my choice by going along with this. And if they dont respect that then they wont be able to come around him often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN