Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Food Stamps And The Square

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/19/technology/personaltech/as-pay-by-phone-advances-square-takes-another-leap-state-of-the-art.html?pagewanted=2&_r=0

I was talking with a friend the other day about the square and how she liked it for her family's salon. Slowly the conversation morphed to eating healthy and how 5 years ago there was a failed attempt to make it so food stamps could be used at farmers markets in the area.

Then we both thought, could you not use the square? So many of our farmers market vendors use it anyways. And this article proves that in someway they categorize sellers.

Do you think it would help food stamps to become healthier?

Oh and can someone make the link clicky I am mobile.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Bump
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM

That's a really cool idea, I hope someone does it.

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Here you can use food stamps at  some of the farmers markets,  they did a big story on it at the beginning of the summer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Here you can use food stamps at  some of the farmers markets,  they did a big story on it at the beginning of the summer.

How do they read the cards?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Quoting slashteddy:

Clicky clicky!

Thank you!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:23 PM

It's at the bigger markets and they have card readers,  but I don't know exact details,  my fil is a vendor at the market and he had to get a card reader machine though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

The card readers frustrated my friend she says it's cheaper to have a square and considering how popular the square is around here I'd think they might want to move over if someone could alter the app slightly.
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM

If they have the credit/debit card readers they can be linked to the SNAP cards used. Then you swipe and use your pin number.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM

My fil has said they are a pain before and I agree the square might be a better idea of they could make it work and then maybe some of the smaller markets could join in also.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

The card readers frustrated my friend she says it's cheaper to have a square and considering how popular the square is around here I'd think they might want to move over if someone could alter the app slightly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)