Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes...I allowed my 10 year old to.......would you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister is all in a tizzy because I allowed my 10 year old to stay at the church fall festival byhimself and then walk home alone. We went as a family the kids and I but my youngest DD is 4 and she got cold and wanted to go home. This was about 2:45. My DS asked could he stay and just walk home. Its about a half a mile from home so I said ok just be home by 5:00 pm. He had his phone and made it home by 4:50 because he didn't want to be late. Now my sister is telling me I'm crazy and a bad mom. Would you let your son walk home?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (121-130):
tifbrown
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely not. Even half a mile is enough time for someone to snatch them up. It just isn't worth the risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justahousewife
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I see no issues with that. 

MusicMuse1991
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

sure would. i was walking alone at 8

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

at 10, no.

MusicMuse1991
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Quoting tifbrown:

Absolutely not. Even half a mile is enough time for someone to snatch them up. It just isn't worth the risk.

he could be snatched from bed at night

i refuse to put my children in bubbles.

dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Depending on the neighborhood, but yeah, I might.  I would prefer it if she was walking with a friend just because our city is considered one of the most dangerous ones but I have let her walk all over by herself several times depending on the area.

gardengirl23
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

No I wouldn't.  

Icpjuggalette
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I guess it depends on the child, if they are mature enough, then yes.

NyiaBaby216
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Yeah I would. In the neighborhood Im in now, most def. My old neighborhood, now thats questionable, but I'm leaning more towards yes. I was going everywhere alone at 10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I honestly don't know. It would depend on a lot, I wouldn't know unless I was in the situation. I think things like that depend a lot on the child, the area you live in, and just your own general comfortability. I definitely don't think you're a bad mom just because of that though, that's a bit of an over reaction on her part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN