Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes...I allowed my 10 year old to.......would you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister is all in a tizzy because I allowed my 10 year old to stay at the church fall festival byhimself and then walk home alone. We went as a family the kids and I but my youngest DD is 4 and she got cold and wanted to go home. This was about 2:45. My DS asked could he stay and just walk home. Its about a half a mile from home so I said ok just be home by 5:00 pm. He had his phone and made it home by 4:50 because he didn't want to be late. Now my sister is telling me I'm crazy and a bad mom. Would you let your son walk home?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (131-140):
gardengirl23
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Jessica Ridgeway was 10 years old.  Her mom thought it was fine for her to walk three blocks alone.  She probably refused to "put her in a bubble too"  To each their own.  http://www.9news.com/news/article/293308/339/Search-continues-for-missing-Westminster-girl

stellarmom1
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
I think ten is too young, but I also live In a large city. I might feel differently if I lived in a smaller town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM
He was there with friends and we knew most of the adults there as well. We had walked to the festival together and my youngest was too cold to walk back.

Quoting momswag:

If it was only a half mile, why not pick him up? Was he there with friends or alone?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM
My mos house and my sisters house is also on his way home from the church.

Quoting crystal_88:

I don't think I would, unless I knew who lived in all the houses that he would have to pass.

XJetX
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM
I was allowed to do things like that by age 8. But I certainly wouldn't be giving my kid a cell phone at that age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Armymom134
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Depends on where you live honestly, if it was where I live I wouldn't have a problem with it either.

boo1985
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Nope I would not. A little girl who is 10 is missing in my state. She went missing after she left her house to walk the 3 blocks to school. Anything can happen in a short amount of time. Not worth the risk IMO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Its a 10 dollar tracphone I use for situations just like this. I also have a 12 and 14 year old so whatever kid is away from me takes the phone and uses it only for emergencies. So its not really HIS phone

Quoting XJetX:

I was allowed to do things like that by age 8. But I certainly wouldn't be giving my kid a cell phone at that age
CutieCrab
by Jen on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I would. It wasn't even dark yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vrbtnseele
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Not in the city we live in now, but in a smaller town? Sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)