Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes...I allowed my 10 year old to.......would you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister is all in a tizzy because I allowed my 10 year old to stay at the church fall festival byhimself and then walk home alone. We went as a family the kids and I but my youngest DD is 4 and she got cold and wanted to go home. This was about 2:45. My DS asked could he stay and just walk home. Its about a half a mile from home so I said ok just be home by 5:00 pm. He had his phone and made it home by 4:50 because he didn't want to be late. Now my sister is telling me I'm crazy and a bad mom. Would you let your son walk home?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (151-160):
MissLydie
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM
A lot of people let their 9-10 yr olds walk home from school all the time..:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM
it has no texting and no internet and he can only call 911 or the contacts I have programmed for him which is myself, my mom, my sister, my bil and a friend of the family who is a local police office.

Quoting XJetX:

If it was strictly an emergency phone that had no texting or net access, then I could understand that. I think it can be programmed to only be able to call certain numbers, so if I'm right on that, (but I may be wrong) then DD would be allowed to call home, mom and dad's cell phones and 911. I don't think children that young are responsible enough to handle a cell phone and can get into lot of trouble.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its a 10 dollar tracphone I use for situations just like this. I also have a 12 and 14 year old so whatever kid is away from me takes the phone and uses it only for emergencies. So its not really HIS phone

Quoting XJetX:

I was allowed to do things like that by age 8. But I certainly wouldn't be giving my kid a cell phone at that age

XJetX
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

We also live in a town where you can go into a store and leave the keys in the ignition with your car running without a second thought. Everybody knows everybody and their children.
As for giving a 9 yr old an iPhone4? That's just ridiculous and setting him up for a lot of disappointment in life unless you plan on handing him the world on a silver platter. But hey, not my kid, not my problem.

Quoting Anonymous:

My 9 year old has a i phone 4 and I would never let him walk anywhere alone. So.... 

Quoting XJetX:

I was allowed to do things like that by age 8. But I certainly wouldn't be giving my kid a cell phone at that age

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM
No just honestly curios (sp?) I just looked up the statistics and it says thay out of 2600 kids that are kidnapped only 1 is a stranger abductions. So the rest are family and aquantince abductions.

Quoting gardengirl23:

You asked.  I wouldn't do it.  You would.  To each their own.  Where I live, people get kidnapped.  Where I live people get hit by cars.  Other people can let their children do whatever they want.  I'd rather risk my kids living in a bubble then take a chance.  My kids normal, happy smart kids that will grow up and walk down the street by themselves when it is time.  You are asking for people's opinions and it seems like you want to debate.

Quoting Anonymous:

And how often does this actually happen?? I a? 32 years old and have never heard of a kidnapping in the city that I live in. He could also be killed riding in a car, on a bike, or in a school shooting. But I do the best I can to prepare him for these things and then I let him go and grow and pray that he will be okay.

Quoting gardengirl23:

Jessica Ridgeway was 10 years old.  Her mom thought it was fine for her to walk three blocks alone.  She probably refused to "put her in a bubble too"  To each their own.  http://www.9news.com/news/article/293308/339/Search-continues-for-missing-Westminster-girl

XJetX
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

That's undertandable then. I see some crackpot women giving their kids new iPhones an such and it's insane. sorry, jmo.

Quoting Anonymous:

it has no texting and no internet and he can only call 911 or the contacts I have programmed for him which is myself, my mom, my sister, my bil and a friend of the family who is a local police office.

Quoting XJetX:

If it was strictly an emergency phone that had no texting or net access, then I could understand that. I think it can be programmed to only be able to call certain numbers, so if I'm right on that, (but I may be wrong) then DD would be allowed to call home, mom and dad's cell phones and 911. I don't think children that young are responsible enough to handle a cell phone and can get into lot of trouble.

Quoting Anonymous:

Its a 10 dollar tracphone I use for situations just like this. I also have a 12 and 14 year old so whatever kid is away from me takes the phone and uses it only for emergencies. So its not really HIS phone

Quoting XJetX:

ARS82078
by Angela on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

It would depend on the kid and where it was located. I used to walk from church to my grandpas house when I was about that age. It was only about 4 blocks and only neighborhood streets. 

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

No, but if you felt comfortable with it, that's all that matters.  Stop telling your sister stuff LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM
He walked by her house and she saw him alone and called me to ask why lol

Quoting malissaL:

No, but if you felt comfortable with it, that's all that matters.  Stop telling your sister stuff LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I hope they find her safe and sound.

Quoting gardengirl23:

Jessica Ridgeway was 10 years old.  Her mom thought it was fine for her to walk three blocks alone.  She probably refused to "put her in a bubble too"  To each their own.  http://www.9news.com/news/article/293308/339/Search-continues-for-missing-Westminster-girl

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

if she gave so much of a crap, she should have drove him home!! LOLLL 

darned bossy, nosy sisters LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

He walked by her house and she saw him alone and called me to ask why lol

Quoting malissaL:

Its my body and I'll do what I want to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN