Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes...I allowed my 10 year old to.......would you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister is all in a tizzy because I allowed my 10 year old to stay at the church fall festival byhimself and then walk home alone. We went as a family the kids and I but my youngest DD is 4 and she got cold and wanted to go home. This was about 2:45. My DS asked could he stay and just walk home. Its about a half a mile from home so I said ok just be home by 5:00 pm. He had his phone and made it home by 4:50 because he didn't want to be late. Now my sister is telling me I'm crazy and a bad mom. Would you let your son walk home?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (161-169):
bellaamore
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Quoting mrsbrand:

Depends on his maturity level. If he was a squared away kid who's stays out of trouble and does the right thing (which it sounds like he is by arriving home 10 min early), I would. If he was a troublesome kid, I wouldn't.

This.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:55 AM
That's what I said lol

Quoting malissaL:

if she gave so much of a crap, she should have drove him home!! LOLLL 

darned bossy, nosy sisters LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

He walked by her house and she saw him alone and called me to ask why lol

Quoting malissaL:

No, but if you felt comfortable with it, that's all that matters.  Stop telling your sister stuff LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM
My dd is only 19months.I wouldn't let a 10 yr old walk by himself or herself especially where i live.

.ChiMama.
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

No. I am overprotective of my kids. My 8yo still holds my hand when crossing the street. We also live in the city in a not so great neighborhood.

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Yes.  But mine was mature enough.  Not all are.  It depends on the kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Depends onthe kid and the town.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Probably not but I am very paranoid after we lost my oldest.
bry36
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

It depeneds my son is almost 12 and no he is not allowed to walk by himself esp if it would be dark out if he had his older cousin with him that would be fine (shes only a yr older ) but he doesnt pay to close attention to detail and I woudlnt feel comfortable with him doing that  yet .I really think it totally depends on the kid ,how far ,the weather , the time of day ,the path they have to take to get home .However I lived in a much much larger city as a kid and walked everywhere and took the bus pretty far but I was very mature and responsible my sons just not at that stage yet .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)