Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes...I allowed my 10 year old to.......would you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister is all in a tizzy because I allowed my 10 year old to stay at the church fall festival byhimself and then walk home alone. We went as a family the kids and I but my youngest DD is 4 and she got cold and wanted to go home. This was about 2:45. My DS asked could he stay and just walk home. Its about a half a mile from home so I said ok just be home by 5:00 pm. He had his phone and made it home by 4:50 because he didn't want to be late. Now my sister is telling me I'm crazy and a bad mom. Would you let your son walk home?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Yes, but only if he was mature and had a cellphone...which you already stated he did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleChaos
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Hell no. Accidents happen closest to home. And the fact that you're posting this Anon kinda speaks for itself. 

Aubs1990
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM

No.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Not where I live
-PB
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM

No, I would not. 

You should add a poll...Just curious what most people would do.

isabellah
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I agree depends on the time, the neighborhood, the kid.  Although I think that its always good for their to be two kids together.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM

No, I would not my 10 yr old doesn't even get to walk up the block by herself.

my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM
In the area we live in I would have said no.
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Sort of. My daughter is nine and I always let her walk similar distances, just not "alone", I prefer her to be with at least one other friend, statistics show children are at a significantly less risk of being harmed or abducted while in a group. Safety in numbers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jazzgirl205
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I let dd  ride her bike all over town when she was 8.  I want an independant child who thinks for herself.  I want her to trust the community in which she was raised instead of seeing everyone as a potential perv.  I think this stranger danger fear is detrimental to society.  I don't want a robot child who is more comfortable with technology than she is reading a book by herself outside or knows more about tv shows than she does about the people who live around her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN