Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yes...I allowed my 10 year old to.......would you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My sister is all in a tizzy because I allowed my 10 year old to stay at the church fall festival byhimself and then walk home alone. We went as a family the kids and I but my youngest DD is 4 and she got cold and wanted to go home. This was about 2:45. My DS asked could he stay and just walk home. Its about a half a mile from home so I said ok just be home by 5:00 pm. He had his phone and made it home by 4:50 because he didn't want to be late. Now my sister is telling me I'm crazy and a bad mom. Would you let your son walk home?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely...he has a learning disability in reading and his self esteem is very low...he thinks he stupid when he is actually very smart, independant, and mature. I loved how proud he looked when he walked in the door and found me to let me know he was home.

Quoting Kmary:

Yup.  In a heartbeat.  And sounds like your child was totally ready for it (getting home early on purpose) and prepared as much as anyone can be (had a phone with him).  Sounds like a great learning/maturing experience for him.  I bet he felt really proud that you let him do something so "grown up."

gma3mom5
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Depends on the kid.....some 10yr. olds are responsible(most of the time) and some are definitely not ready to be by themselves at all.

Melanie420
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

No I wouldnt allow that because anything could happen to him, that and I watch way too many lifetime movies thanks to my mother and you can never be to cautious when it comes to your child

whoopsie16
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

depends on the distance & area. where I live? no way!

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM
This.

By 10, I would ride my bike 2 miles to the pool everyday by myself.

Quoting mrsbrand:

Depends on his maturity level. If he was a squared away kid who's stays out of trouble and does the right thing (which it sounds like he is by arriving home 10 min early), I would. If he was a troublesome kid, I wouldn't.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I personally would not, however, when I was 5 yes FIVE I was walking myself hoome from kindergarten, the playground, etc all the time.

mitchiesgirl
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Depends on the neighborhood... In my neighborhood I would. As long as he knows the route home I don't see a problem. Plus your DS was very responsible and even left earlier to make sure he made it home in time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

No. But I live in a big city. 

NoahsMommy1121
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Nope..not at 10 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I'm parinoid about pediphiles so no I wouldn't but i dont think you are a bad mom because you let him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN