Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Proud Mama Here!!!** (possibly "graphic" PIC) **WARNING**

Posted by   + Show Post

Mackenzie (my 13yo DD) shot her first buck today! :)

*proud mama moment*

Her daddy caught it all on video tape. She sounded so excited, when we talked on the phone.

**SQUEeEeeEe!!!** So proud!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Replies (251-260):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 29 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I can't believe you have a 13 year old?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Quoting blues_pagan:

I love how people always say that but they post things, IMO seeking approval or wanting a pat on the back lol. Sorry I have an opinion. If you have something controversial, and you don't want to hear opinions, don't post it. Pretty simple.
Robe739IsBack
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
That is what so many people fail to understand. :/

We aren't the type to just march into the woods with our high-powered rifles & shoot the first thing that comes along.

We have hundreds of acres of land that is 100% maintained & studied by us year round. We have trail cameras set at many locations, where we track herds & families of deer, including ages of bucks (as to NOT accidentally shoot a yearling).

We know where these deer feed, bed down, travel to, what time they feed, sleep, travel.... When fawns are born, when deer breed... What bucks are "territorial" & will kill smaller bucks for feeding land...

The buck DD shot looks small (rack size) but IS NOT a yearling & is comparable in body size to a 10 pointer in the same feeding location. She was sat where she was (in that specific stand) and TOLD to shoot this specific deer. HAD SHE NOT, it would have lost a fight with the 10 pointer, left suffering, & meat wasted. :/

We plant our own feed & maintain it through the year, mow & chop the trails the deer walk, take down & rebuild stands (according to where the deer are located that year)....

The list goes on & on.

I don't see how hunting can be considered "easy". Not the way we do it, anyways. :/

Quoting blues_pagan:

There is definite talent in hunting.  It is not just as easy as point and shoot.  

Can you honestly say that if you had to you could go out and get food like this for your family?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting celticwych:

Talent? For killing a deer? Hmmm I hardy think that's going to show up at the next talent show. This is definitely some backwoods mess to teach your kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MNDsM
Good for her! Congratulations! My 13 year old boys helped my father butcher three steers a couple of weeks ago. Yay for self reliant children!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
she_walk_softly
1 mom liked this
I'm vegetarian and am all for hunting for food.Also raising your own if they have quality of life,over mass production meat.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Sorry this grossed you out. I made sure to post the pic that had no blood showing in it.

What about it is disgusting to you? Honestly, just curious.

Are you a vegetarian?

I only ask, because we hunt, simply because the meat supplied at stores & markets comes from animals that are abused, tortured, & injected with poisonious growth hormones. Our way of hunting allows minimal suffering for the animal, while still providing meat for our family. We never hunt "just for the thrill". ALL parts are used.

We also raise cows & feed them naturally, before butchering them. Again, 2 cows in 1 GIANT barn/farm field, who are free to roam & do not suffer in a "feed mill".

We catch our own fish too.

The only "meat" I've ever bought from a market is chicken, which will soon change, once we get the "rights" to raise chickens & turkeys on our uncle's farm land.

Anyways, just wanted to explain this. We're not some "blood thirsty", "kill happy" family. We just like celebrating the fact that we can pass this way of life down to our children & keep a tradition alive. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Damn woman I told her she did a good thing letting people know ahead of time. Eh, it is gross to me. Who cares? Now move along.

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting Anonymous:

This is disgusting, but you did a good job warning people. Thanks for doing that.

Yet you had to come in and reply anyway ....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM
4 moms liked this

All I have to say is that when the Zombie-pocalypse happens, all these hating bitches are gonna starve to death and your family is gonna be just fine. 

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I'm in Illinois and we call them button bucks when their antlers are just little nubs (buttons).

But here it's the same way, they're so overpopulated they're actually starting to have health problems, and deer/vehicle accidents are ridiculously common.

We follow the same guidelines you guys do. :)

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

A spike buck has only 2 points. This one is a 5 pointer. It is an adult deer, with a solid-grown body. We don't hunt for the "trophy rack". We hunt for the body size (amount of meat).

WOur land is located in a zone that is over populated. If we don't shoot the smaller bucks, they won't survive anyways, because they will fight for proper feeding grounds with the bigger, more dominant bucks.

We don't shoot does that have fawns with them & we never shoot fawns. Ever.

I've never heard of the term "button buck". You must be from the south? :)

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

I didn't realize it was only a spike. Where my husband's family lives all the big bucks are gone because people hunt button bucks and spikes. I would love to see a drop tine.

Quoting Anonymous:

That buck wasn't ready to harvest yet, you should not be proud of that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsErdos2011
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

No I grew up in northern Indiana. I never heard the term either until I met my husband. His grandarents live just outside of Traverse City. A button buck is a buck that is just getting it's antlers for the first time.  Thank you for correcting my mistake. 

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

A spike buck has only 2 points. This one is a 5 pointer. It is an adult deer, with a solid-grown body. We don't hunt for the "trophy rack". We hunt for the body size (amount of meat).

WOur land is located in a zone that is over populated. If we don't shoot the smaller bucks, they won't survive anyways, because they will fight for proper feeding grounds with the bigger, more dominant bucks.

We don't shoot does that have fawns with them & we never shoot fawns. Ever.

I've never heard of the term "button buck". You must be from the south? :)

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

I didn't realize it was only a spike. Where my husband's family lives all the big bucks are gone because people hunt button bucks and spikes. I would love to see a drop tine.

Quoting Anonymous:

That buck wasn't ready to harvest yet, you should not be proud of that.

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Robe739IsBack
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Sure do. ;)

Carried for 9 months, birthed, & raised by yours truly. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't believe you have a 13 year old?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Ok, now I want to live with you. <3 

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

That is what so many people fail to understand. :/

We aren't the type to just march into the woods with our high-powered rifles & shoot the first thing that comes along.

We have hundreds of acres of land that is 100% maintained & studied by us year round. We have trail cameras set at many locations, where we track herds & families of deer, including ages of bucks (as to NOT accidentally shoot a yearling).

We know where these deer feed, bed down, travel to, what time they feed, sleep, travel.... When fawns are born, when deer breed... What bucks are "territorial" & will kill smaller bucks for feeding land...

The buck DD shot looks small (rack size) but IS NOT a yearling & is comparable in body size to a 10 pointer in the same feeding location. She was sat where she was (in that specific stand) and TOLD to shoot this specific deer. HAD SHE NOT, it would have lost a fight with the 10 pointer, left suffering, & meat wasted. :/

We plant our own feed & maintain it through the year, mow & chop the trails the deer walk, take down & rebuild stands (according to where the deer are located that year)....

The list goes on & on.

I don't see how hunting can be considered "easy". Not the way we do it, anyways. :/

Quoting blues_pagan:

There is definite talent in hunting.  It is not just as easy as point and shoot.  

Can you honestly say that if you had to you could go out and get food like this for your family?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting celticwych:

Talent? For killing a deer? Hmmm I hardy think that's going to show up at the next talent show. This is definitely some backwoods mess to teach your kids.

Whether you're pagan or not, you'll love all of the cool recipes, crafts, and coloring pages in this group! Join Us! And don't forget to say I sent you! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)