Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

**Proud Mama Here!!!** (possibly "graphic" PIC) **WARNING**

Posted by   + Show Post

Mackenzie (my 13yo DD) shot her first buck today! :)

*proud mama moment*

Her daddy caught it all on video tape. She sounded so excited, when we talked on the phone.

**SQUEeEeeEe!!!** So proud!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Replies (291-294):
Robe739IsBack
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM
A regular bow. In our state it is illegal to use a crossbow, inless you are a senior (65 or older).

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Regular bow or cross bow?

I went to some archery practices long ago (inanimate targets only.) I enjoyed it. I am apprehensive about firearms as well.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

She will eventually become strictly a bow hunter.

DH & I are strictly bow hunters, because the season allows nicer weather & better deer.

We start the kids in the family with gun hunting, because it teaches skills, but allows adults to be close by to manage the situation. We also believe that gun safety is important for everyone, before learning bow skills.

Once we feel that she is skilled in gun hunting & understands safety & such, we will slowly introduce her to bow hunting. I (personally) skipped the gun hunting, because guns scare me. :/ Well, more-so my own clumsiness scares me. LOL! I fully trust my DH & his grandpa to educate my kids on gun safety, though. It's just not something I'm interested in. :)

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Then I'm cool with it (even though I'm a vegetarian!) I would be more impressed if she took it down with one arrow though. Guns to me are kind of cheating or something.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

We don't hunt for sport, we hunt for food. We're always thankful for the land, opportunity, & animals provided on earth for survival. :)

Quoting IntactivistMama:

Just tell me you will use virtually every part of the animal AND respect the life that was taken and I will not object. 

OK?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetz684
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM
I believe there are also certain times of the year you cannot kill a doe. At least where I live.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

There are no rules as to how many points a buck has. :)

In fact, it's legal to shoot fawns (babies) too.

Some people who own land will make rules of their own, as to let small bucks pass, so that they are bigger (more of a prize) next year.

Really, the only "rule" the DNR has as far as shooting deer goes, is no shooting albino deer. We have 4 albino does on our land. :)

If you have a deer tag for that deer, you can shoot it. (Example: DD has 1 buck tag & 2 doe tags). She can still shoot 2 does this year, if she wants. :)

Quoting Aamy:

Though just a question, only because i dont hunt and am not sure, they can take them that small ?? I thought the buck had to have so many points on his antlers .... And again im only asking not bashing anyone. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robe739IsBack
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM
In our area, we are always given more doe tags than buck tags. We are in a generally overpopulated area, though.

Quoting sweetz684:

I believe there are also certain times of the year you cannot kill a doe. At least where I live.

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Some people who own land will make rules of their own, as to let small bucks pass, so that they are bigger (more of a prize) next year.

Really, the only "rule" the DNR has as far as shooting deer goes, is no shooting albino deer. We have 4 albino does on our land. :)

If you have a deer tag for that deer, you can shoot it. (Example: DD has 1 buck tag & 2 doe tags). She can still shoot 2 does this year, if she wants. :)

Quoting Aamy:

Though just a question, only because i dont hunt and am not sure, they can take them that small ?? I thought the buck had to have so many points on his antlers .... And again im only asking not bashing anyone. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetz684
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Maybe certain areas have different rules? I know where my dad hunts and where we live we are overpopulated too. I'd rather see some kill a deer and eat the meat then see as many as I do on the side of the road just rotting. Good job to your daughter!

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

In our area, we are always given more doe tags than buck tags. We are in a generally overpopulated area, though.

Quoting sweetz684:

Quoting Robe739IsBack:

Quoting Aamy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)