Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its not that hard to be a SAHM.......

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know I am going to get bashed for this but... Its not that hard to be a SAHM.

I had four children under the age of 6.  But still when my (now deceased) Dh got home the kids had been bathed and were in their Pjs. Tea was ready within 10 mins after he walked in the door. I'd take his plate and make him a coffee. The house would be clean and tidy. (although you could tell there was children living there. We had a big playroom that the kids would tidy up each day)

I would spend quality time with the kids. We would sing songs and dance to the Wiggles. We would go to the park and be amazed at the daffodils. They would play outside while I (at 41 weeks pregnant) would mow the lawns and chopped the wood. They would 'help' me with the dishes.

I am NOT saying that my Dh was right in letting me do all the chores and cooking. Looking back it was selfish of him. But I loved him and I wanted life at home to be a peaceful happy place. I was always terrified if things weren't right he would be gone. He took his own life 8yrs ago and if I am ever lucky enough to have a new relationship you can bet your @ss he will be helping with the kids and the house.

That said.. it was managable.  I have 4 children, 2 of them with pervasive devalopment disorders. I had PND.  I pretty much have no family to help. But it was fun and we were happy. Some times my friends would come and i'd get to go to the supermarket with no kids!  The joy of getting a basket to get my groceries instead of a double trolley and kids trailing behind!  But I was always happy to get back to my kids. And I am proud of the fact I can peel a potato and breastfeed at the same time.!!

My kids are teenagers now. Its a different kind of happy.  I no longer have the kids full time. But there are other things in my life now. I don't remember feeling particulary overwhelmed.  Maybe I am looking back with Rose Tinted Glasses.

Anybody else think SAHM in not that bad?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Replies (101-110):
Dayna29
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the kids. Its the parents that I can't stand. I wouldn't be able to work at a daycare because I can't stand stupid people. lol When your kid is having a diaper rash and you are giving them kook aid in a bottle, Hmmmmm. I wonder why. Its acid coming out. That is why I am picky about who I watch. I only watch my sister's kids right now and sometimes that is a battle. I feel like the Brady Bunch. My 2 DF 2 and Sister's 2. 3 boys and 3 girls. lol I need the nanny. hehe :)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Dayna29:

I love being a SAHM but I also not only take care of my kids, I take care of others too. It can be a lot to do when the kids are doing extra activities now but I just need to get back into the groove of things and get things cleaned up around here. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the go too much to do anything around here. I just need to find that balance again. But its great to be able to raise your own instead of having someone else do it. (Not saying its a bad thing, just my preference for me. I don't trust many other people with my kids) But it will be almost time for me to go back to work soon. I will miss those days of being with kids all day long and watching them as they grow.

I envy you. I couldn't tolerate other people's kids day in and out! Lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:59 AM

yup. who else would do it? Not MY husband. Also I thought it might put me in labour.  Had to chop the wood up so they had plenty while I was in hospital having baby.. I know, its seems lame but that was the situation.

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh.... You mowed and chopped wood at 41 weeks pregnant.

Ok then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Im in New Zealand. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

you must live on the other side of the ocean concidering that you were chopping wood and making tea.

I wish I lived in Europe... *sigh*

MrsErdos2011
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:14 AM

I love being a SAHM. That being said it can be difficult, trying and overwhelming at times.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:19 AM
I worked at MIL's daycare and there was a 1 year old there whose mom would give him apple juice. When she'd come pick him up she'd blame the daycare workers that he had a rash...lol seriously? It was the apple juice.

Quoting Dayna29:

I love the kids. Its the parents that I can't stand. I wouldn't be able to work at a daycare because I can't stand stupid people. lol When your kid is having a diaper rash and you are giving them kook aid in a bottle, Hmmmmm. I wonder why. Its acid coming out. That is why I am picky about who I watch. I only watch my sister's kids right now and sometimes that is a battle. I feel like the Brady Bunch. My 2 DF 2 and Sister's 2. 3 boys and 3 girls. lol I need the nanny. hehe :)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Dayna29:

I love being a SAHM but I also not only take care of my kids, I take care of others too. It can be a lot to do when the kids are doing extra activities now but I just need to get back into the groove of things and get things cleaned up around here. Sometimes I feel like I'm on the go too much to do anything around here. I just need to find that balance again. But its great to be able to raise your own instead of having someone else do it. (Not saying its a bad thing, just my preference for me. I don't trust many other people with my kids) But it will be almost time for me to go back to work soon. I will miss those days of being with kids all day long and watching them as they grow.

I envy you. I couldn't tolerate other people's kids day in and out! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM
I just think it's emotionally draining, if I could play with my kids all day it would probably be different, but wake up, feed breakfast, get child to school, work out, snack and playtime, lunch, nap time for him study time for me, pick older child up from school, snack time, laundry, cleaning, playtime, snack time, study/cleaning dinner, bedtime routine, study/cleaning go to bed, EVERY single day! Sometimes when I do dishes or fold laundry I feel like I do nothing else ever!

We do go out sometimes and meet up at the park with friends, throw in there grocery shopping, but mostly our schedule stays the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:46 AM

I have a child in his early teens, the wiggles weren't around until my youngest (who is almost 11) was old enough to watch mess like that. I am thinking your time frame must be off.

Michellina11234
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:49 AM

never said it was bad, challenging at times.

my4kids274
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Happy for you OP that your SAHM experiences were the way you describe. 

Honestly though there were and are times I want to run out of my house screaming dealing with 2 college aged kids living at home and a 10 and 7 year old.  All family dynamics are different and what worked for you will not work for others.  Each family deals with their own challenges.  Believe me I love being a stay at home mom BUT with that being said some days are harder than others. 

raegansmom
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:08 AM
For me, being a sahm was very easy. I have one child & she is very well behaved. We would spend our days just hanging out & having fun. We'd go to the park, the pool, the zoo, the library, etc. now, she's in school & I work part time. It's still easy. Granted, the mornings are more hectic, but overall parenting has not been very challenging.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)