Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its not that hard to be a SAHM.......

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know I am going to get bashed for this but... Its not that hard to be a SAHM.

I had four children under the age of 6.  But still when my (now deceased) Dh got home the kids had been bathed and were in their Pjs. Tea was ready within 10 mins after he walked in the door. I'd take his plate and make him a coffee. The house would be clean and tidy. (although you could tell there was children living there. We had a big playroom that the kids would tidy up each day)

I would spend quality time with the kids. We would sing songs and dance to the Wiggles. We would go to the park and be amazed at the daffodils. They would play outside while I (at 41 weeks pregnant) would mow the lawns and chopped the wood. They would 'help' me with the dishes.

I am NOT saying that my Dh was right in letting me do all the chores and cooking. Looking back it was selfish of him. But I loved him and I wanted life at home to be a peaceful happy place. I was always terrified if things weren't right he would be gone. He took his own life 8yrs ago and if I am ever lucky enough to have a new relationship you can bet your @ss he will be helping with the kids and the house.

That said.. it was managable.  I have 4 children, 2 of them with pervasive devalopment disorders. I had PND.  I pretty much have no family to help. But it was fun and we were happy. Some times my friends would come and i'd get to go to the supermarket with no kids!  The joy of getting a basket to get my groceries instead of a double trolley and kids trailing behind!  But I was always happy to get back to my kids. And I am proud of the fact I can peel a potato and breastfeed at the same time.!!

My kids are teenagers now. Its a different kind of happy.  I no longer have the kids full time. But there are other things in my life now. I don't remember feeling particulary overwhelmed.  Maybe I am looking back with Rose Tinted Glasses.

Anybody else think SAHM in not that bad?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I've been a SAHM & a working mom. Both are hard in their own ways *shrug* I do think being a CNA was usually harder than being a SAHM but there are days I do feel like locking myself in the closet when the kids are being a bit. ..stinky hehe

kiralyn
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM
I don't think it's hard, but it can be overwhelming at times. Everyone gets overwhelmed with life, sahp or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QuickMomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Agree

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah it is when your constantly with your child 24/7. Just because you don't think its hard, doesn't mean it isn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM

LOL you're right! I also mowed the lawns at 42 and 43 weeks pregnant too! 

obviously the kids were not all born at the same time!

Quoting Anonymous:

Holy shnikes!!!! You were 41 Weeks pregnant the whole time?! You poor dear!

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh fabulous! Another "its not that hard to be a SAHM" post. Dead horse meet stick.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I love getting paid to lay around all day. I only hate that my baby will start School soon and im going to have to go back to work.
Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM

It's not that hard to do a lot of things, doesn't mean they aren't worth doing. It doesn't mean they don't have their own stresses. It doesn't mean some people don't find it more difficult than others do. Soooo...*shrugs*

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Im a sahm, have been for 17 years... it isnt hard.  It is fun. Yes, it is tiring but the good kind of tired.  It wears on you physically and emotionally... but the rewards are worth it.

Im amazed at the women here who say they are bored, or that they have no friends, or that they cant keep a house clean.  I imagine if they can not do those things being a sahm there is NO way they could do it while working also.

Yes... it isnt as hard as people will make you think it is.

PurpleChaos
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I personally don't think it's that hard. 

When I worked, I as miserable. I got off at midnight, cleaned up the dinner mess, woke up early, cooked breakfast, cleaned up the breakfast mess, mopped the whole house as we had tile everywhere and a dog, went to work, and then did it all over again. There was no rest time. I was doped up on caffeine drinks, caffeine pills, coffee, so I could make it through work and come home. 

Now that I'm a SAHM with 2 kids and the same annoying dog(lol) it's so much better than doing what I was doing before. Dh pretty much does all the outdoor stuff and I do the cleaning, cooking, kid related things, unless he's taking DS with him to ride on the lawn mower with him while he does the yard. And I hate seeing people complain about it all the time. The only thing that gets to me is not being able to drive. But I've been working on that fear and now I'm in the position to be getting my license here shortly. 

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Everyone has a difference experience and not everyone deals with the same challenges.

It's not something easily generalized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)