Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its not that hard to be a SAHM.......

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know I am going to get bashed for this but... Its not that hard to be a SAHM.

I had four children under the age of 6.  But still when my (now deceased) Dh got home the kids had been bathed and were in their Pjs. Tea was ready within 10 mins after he walked in the door. I'd take his plate and make him a coffee. The house would be clean and tidy. (although you could tell there was children living there. We had a big playroom that the kids would tidy up each day)

I would spend quality time with the kids. We would sing songs and dance to the Wiggles. We would go to the park and be amazed at the daffodils. They would play outside while I (at 41 weeks pregnant) would mow the lawns and chopped the wood. They would 'help' me with the dishes.

I am NOT saying that my Dh was right in letting me do all the chores and cooking. Looking back it was selfish of him. But I loved him and I wanted life at home to be a peaceful happy place. I was always terrified if things weren't right he would be gone. He took his own life 8yrs ago and if I am ever lucky enough to have a new relationship you can bet your @ss he will be helping with the kids and the house.

That said.. it was managable.  I have 4 children, 2 of them with pervasive devalopment disorders. I had PND.  I pretty much have no family to help. But it was fun and we were happy. Some times my friends would come and i'd get to go to the supermarket with no kids!  The joy of getting a basket to get my groceries instead of a double trolley and kids trailing behind!  But I was always happy to get back to my kids. And I am proud of the fact I can peel a potato and breastfeed at the same time.!!

My kids are teenagers now. Its a different kind of happy.  I no longer have the kids full time. But there are other things in my life now. I don't remember feeling particulary overwhelmed.  Maybe I am looking back with Rose Tinted Glasses.

Anybody else think SAHM in not that bad?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Replies (131-140):
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM

well i do more than cooking and cleaning.....shrugs.

CookieMom108
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I don't think it's bad at all.  I love being a sahm and have absolutely nothing to complain about.  This is the life I chose and for me.  Working while I had small children at home wasn't even an option I considered. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I'm a SAHM to 4 kids under 5. It's not hard at all, just overwhelming.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Then why don't more women stay home where they belong?! Besides they need the money

UgtaBkdnMe
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I think it's a cake walk. I love it.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

It is not really hard it is the monotony of it that gets to me

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I on board with you
Im on the oppisite of many women who come on here complaining that being a sahm is hard and trying to compare it to working moms
I have been on both ends and for me working was harder because it tacks on 1 more thing to the schedule. And it takes up more hrs of your day to come home to do the things you would do as a sahm

To me being a sahm can get boring and too repetitious. If you are out working you socialize more
But as far as the taking care of the house and kids, to me it was a breeze. Dont complain about something you got yourself into. Get on a schedule and follow through and your home should run smoothly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hyman
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I love being a SAHM and I can Breastfeed and do anything at the same time lol.

But I'm not perfect and not the tidiest person. I'm lucky my husband loves pizza bc even tho I love cooking, finding time to do it with a baby can be impossible for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

You can say everyone else is overreacting when they say being a SAHM is hard and that's your opinion.  Mine is that what you described sounds awful.  Bascially your husband had you do everything while he brought in the paycheck because with you even doing the yardwork, I'd have to wonder what else he actually did.  Being the breadwinner is a very important job in a family but it's not the only thing a husband and father should be doing. 

I also didn't notice where you wrote anything about having any real time to yourself.  Some of actually need that.  It generally makes for a healthier and happier mom, as well as giving the kids some time where mom is not their sole source of entertainment.  I know the rare, and I do mean rare, time I have where I'm not taking care of literally everyone and everything here, I dive back in recharged and just happy to be doing whatever it is I'm doing.  I do everything around here including working a real job from home.  I do everything I did as a SAHM.  It is just as exhausting as when I was only a SAHM, it can be overwhelming and I just am not going to think that is an overreaction or that what I do is not hard just because someone else is trying to stir the pot or feel the need to validate themselves in a way that means tearing down others.

helema24
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

it all depends on the household. for me if dh does not help sometimes it it hard. all but 1 of my 4 are in school/daycare to help out and my dh would smack the person that made me mow the lawn even if its himself! i do what i can to keep him happy and he knows i need help. im glad you were able to do it all but ill admit i cant do it all all the time! i have arthritis and was diagnosed when i was 23. but i still crack myself (it hurts but i gotta do it) out of bed to get things done. as for tea and all that stuff i dont do it unless asked! and he gets his own plate!

power bitch slap internet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)