Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Its not that hard to be a SAHM.......

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I know I am going to get bashed for this but... Its not that hard to be a SAHM.

I had four children under the age of 6.  But still when my (now deceased) Dh got home the kids had been bathed and were in their Pjs. Tea was ready within 10 mins after he walked in the door. I'd take his plate and make him a coffee. The house would be clean and tidy. (although you could tell there was children living there. We had a big playroom that the kids would tidy up each day)

I would spend quality time with the kids. We would sing songs and dance to the Wiggles. We would go to the park and be amazed at the daffodils. They would play outside while I (at 41 weeks pregnant) would mow the lawns and chopped the wood. They would 'help' me with the dishes.

I am NOT saying that my Dh was right in letting me do all the chores and cooking. Looking back it was selfish of him. But I loved him and I wanted life at home to be a peaceful happy place. I was always terrified if things weren't right he would be gone. He took his own life 8yrs ago and if I am ever lucky enough to have a new relationship you can bet your @ss he will be helping with the kids and the house.

That said.. it was managable.  I have 4 children, 2 of them with pervasive devalopment disorders. I had PND.  I pretty much have no family to help. But it was fun and we were happy. Some times my friends would come and i'd get to go to the supermarket with no kids!  The joy of getting a basket to get my groceries instead of a double trolley and kids trailing behind!  But I was always happy to get back to my kids. And I am proud of the fact I can peel a potato and breastfeed at the same time.!!

My kids are teenagers now. Its a different kind of happy.  I no longer have the kids full time. But there are other things in my life now. I don't remember feeling particulary overwhelmed.  Maybe I am looking back with Rose Tinted Glasses.

Anybody else think SAHM in not that bad?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Wow, you are a strong woman. How old were you when the kids were that young?? Too bad you had the fear about your husband leaving if everything wasn't perfect...I'm sure that worrying wasn't easy. But I appreciate you wanting to make a happy, peaceful home...so many people overlook that now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Well aren't you just fine and fuckin' dandy.
Sunshinebee0502
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That's according to you. Maybe stating in I don't find being a sahm that hard wouldn't be as offensive. I was a sahm at one point I did find it hard not because of the chores or being with my children.  I missed working and adult conversations. I missed going to pee by myself 3 times a day, 4 days a week. I don't miss the times I would have everything done and just be bored while my children napped and I remember how much I resented people for saying things like "It's not that hard to be a stay at home mom."

Mama_Gleich
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I don't think it is at that. I enjoy it. :) I love cleaning cooking and whatever I can to serve my family to make them happy. Their happiness makes me happy. I do plan on going to work again one day. But being 38 weeks pregnant makes that hard to do. So, for now, I will enjoy my time as a SAHM. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well,its your opinion.I was a sahm and a working mom.I would rather work and get out of the house.I was overwhelming and Im sure all sahm's have a different situation,some harder than others.Wow,all these sahm posts lately! Geez..

Lena-Loo
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Lord can we trade kids? I have one and she drives me nuts!(at times) i have mommy moments every week. (20 min to an hour where i am all by myself just to relax)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoahandEliza
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:34 PM
I know I sound like a bitch, but I don't mean to...neither being a working mom or a sahm has been hard for me. I get stressed out, bored or lonely, but I feel like everyone does, no matter what they do. Both worlds offer something the other can't, but I find both to be equally as satisfying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Being a sahm is NOT "that bad." In fact I love it. It's absolutely, without a doubt what I am supposed to be doing, but to say it isn't hard is a load of malarkey. 

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No, it's not physically hard at all. It's sometimes emotionally hard, but that's easy to get over. I hate when people complain about staying home, I had a career that kt me out of the house 40-80 hours a week for the first few years of motherhood. There is nowhere I'd rather be than home today! I can honestly say that leaving my job was the best decision I ever made.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM
I found it to be pretty easy. But I know not everyone does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)