Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DONT TELL ME ITS NONE OF MY BUSINESS (SUICIDE)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Bil apparently has been really depressed lately and been having suicidal thoughts. How do I know this..? Sil told me he mentioned it to her. Reasons: parents just went through a divorce, older brother and sister moved out of the house and now have kids and lives of their own, gf dumped him after she found out he was with multiple girls, his dad has a new gf, mom drinks and doesn't have time for him, two of his cousins passed away one from a motorcycle accident and the other a suicide by hanging, almost didn't graduate hs he wasn't able to walk across the stage but he still passed. The list goes on and on.

Anyways, I brought up this conversation to his mother (my mil) and she flat out told me its none of my business, if he didn't directly come to me for help I need to keep my nose out of it. She also told me he's really just acting out because he hates his dads new gf. And she left it at that.

I'm sorry but if someone brings it to my attention that someone else might possibly be suicidal, I think the issue needs to be addressed.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Thank you, I just don't want to put myself in that position: what if I could have done something. its easier to sit back and watch it happen than to take action. My MIL might hate me for it but that's something I'm going to have to deal with.

Quoting kiriis:

I know how it feels to lose a brother to suicide because no one in his "real" family cared enough to do anything. Be happy you got this warning. You and your family are in my thoughts. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

He's 18, dh and I are both 21. Dh is the brother that moved out and has a child now and another on the way (with me). He has his own life. Idk if Bil just can't accept the changes in his life or what. I'll talk to dh more about it and call these #s.

Thank you

Quoting Anjlmom32:

How old is he? Are you close to him? 

I really don't know what advise to give you on something so serious, but here are some resources that may help.

1-800-suicide or 1-800-273-talk and someone on the other end will help you with better ideas. Look it up online, I googled crisis hotline number for those numbers. There are many resources available to help in these situations. DO NOT mind your own buisness, he went to her, she came to you. Together, hopefully you can all work through this difficult time. My prayers are with you and you BIL.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM
And thats how I feel. Yes things could take a turn for the worst but at least I know I'm trying my hardest to help someone out

Quoting Anonymous:

sounds like she is in denial,I would rather help and be known as a nosey person thna him really do something and live with regrets

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Ask mother in law if she realizes that knowing someone who has committed suicide puts family and friends more at risk for doing the same,especially for teens and young twenties.  How is she going to feel if she ignores this and he trys...and more so if he succeeds?Please,look at this post I did on Suicide Prevention Day...there are some links there that may help you! Hugs Momma! Please let us know how he's doing....

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/17262130/World_Suicide_Prevention_Day_is_10_September_2012

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Can anyone fix my lastreply so the whole thing can be read...it did that when I put the link in...and I tried to fix  : (

Aleta775
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I agree with you. His mom sounds like she is in denial or something. That kid needs help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Yes it is your business, and thank you for caring.

Cpdsptchgrl
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM
In many cases those committing suicide just do it without telling someone. That said...if the suspicion is there it should absolutely be taken seriously. I think you did the right thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Suicidal behavior is everyone's business - the more people involved the more likely to prevent a tragedy.

fostermomoftwo
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM

sounds like my parents. dont think about it and it will go away i guess is there theory

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Exactly! Most of the time they think no one is there for them, no one to turn to. More people involved shows that they really do care.

Quoting lancet98:

Suicidal behavior is everyone's business - the more people involved the more likely to prevent a tragedy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)