Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Confession ~ Irrational fear

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

You all will probably think this is absolutely stupid as fuck, but I have to get some opinions on it.  Here goes...

I have this completely irrational fear of running out of things.  Mostly hygene items like shampoo, conditioner, bath soap...  Things like that.  Because of this fear, I don't take care of myself.  I don't shower regularly because I'm afraid we will run out of the things required to do so and my kids and husband won't have what they need to be clean to go to school and work.  I don't want to run out and not have the money to go buy more!

In my head this all sounds completely rational, but I was sitting here thinking about it and then started typing this post out and the more I think about it, the more stupid it sounds...  even to me.  I have things together and in the bathroom to shower and shave and I'm planning on taking a shower tonight, but the reality of it is that in the time between now and when I go to bed I will talk myself out of it.  

I haven't showered in about 2 weeks, so it will take about an hour for me to get clean and be satisfied enough to get out.  It is so long between showers that I have an unbelievable amount of dead skin that comes off of me.  I have to soap myself, rub dead skin off of ever inch of myself and then soap again.  It's ridiculous, and I hate even thinking about it.

Does anyone else have a fear like this that interferes with their life?  I honestly feel like that because I'm a stay at home mother, that I come last when it comes to everything, and that's how it SHOULD be.  Everyone else should come first because they have places to be daily and all I do is sit here at home, so why do I need to shower?  I know that this is not normal, but I don't know what to do to stop making what feels like excuses for this behavoir and to stop rationalizing this all in my head.  Especially since I KNOW that it is anything but rational thinking! 

I need some suggestions!  I need to shower regularly!  I'm a parent who is involved in my childrens' extra-curricular activities and am around other parents as well as my kids' friends!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Bump in hopes of some kind of response.  Is it THAT stupid?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM
I do that with food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:03 AM

It's called OCD. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Really?  Is that really a symptom of OCD?  I've never heard of that!

Quoting Anonymous:

It's called OCD. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I do that with food.

I do it with food too, even though we've never even came close to running out. I have no idea why.
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Is money an issue for you that replacing the items if you do run out is a problem?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I find myself doing it with a LOT of things!  But the one that sticks out the most in my head is the hygene products.  I don't know what to do about it though.  People say "It's easy!  Just stop doing it!" but it's NOT that easy!

Quoting Anonymous:

I do that with food.

RLT2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I'm not going to say it's stupid, if it's real to you then it's not stupid. I will give you two good reasons to shower daily though: hiney holes and vagina holes, those things need to get washed-alot! All kidding aside, think about your kids.  If they see you treating yourself this way, they may grow up thinking they should treat themselves like that. I'm sure that's not what you want. Best thing to do is get a good old BJs membership and buy 6 packs of everything. You could shower twice a day and still be set for months!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I think that may be part of it, but I'm not sure.  I fear running out and not having the money to buy more, even though that rarely happens.

Quoting Summerlion1123:

Is money an issue for you that replacing the items if you do run out is a problem?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM

I think that is already happening!  I've caught my daughter washing her hair in the sink several times instead of just going and taking a shower.  I don't want them to pick up on this, but they already are!  I definately don't want this for her (or any of them) but I can't seem to even MAKE myself take proper care of myself!  I'm very distraught over this!

Quoting RLT2:

I'm not going to say it's stupid, if it's real to you then it's not stupid. I will give you two good reasons to shower daily though: hiney holes and vagina holes, those things need to get washed-alot! All kidding aside, think about your kids.  If they see you treating yourself this way, they may grow up thinking they should treat themselves like that. I'm sure that's not what you want. Best thing to do is get a good old BJs membership and buy 6 packs of everything. You could shower twice a day and still be set for months!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured