Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how would you feel if.... *pic pg 20*pg27* UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
Someone brought a home made gift to your child's birthday party?

We're broke. Our bills are paid, but atm we have nothing for little extras. So, what can I do for the back to back parties this weekend??

I decided to crochet them hats. Both girls are turning 1. I already have the supplies....

I feel bad though... :-/ like they might think I'm cheap or something. One mom won't care- we are good friends and she knows money is tight.. the other? We barely know each other- but our kids get along well. Both moms are in a different tax bracket (to put it simply)

So, would you find it tacky?

*update*
Both moms loved the hats! Thank you ladies for building my confidence on the matter. Because of the overwhelming support, I am now setting up a shop!! Thank you!! ♥
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM
Replies (51-60):
carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I'd hate it and call you out for being a cheap ass in front of everyone.

JK. I would love it.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I think its an awesome idea! It takes far more effort to actually make something, opposed to just buying something.

Now with that said, no one is ever required or should feel obligated to bring a gift to my kids bday parties. If you were invited, it was because we want you there. Bringing a gift is just a bonus of sorts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PandTsmomjuly
by Florence on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
This. I have an outfit that was made for my oldest packed away for her oldest.

Each of my kids has baby blankets that were made for them that I intend to give them when they are older. My mom made them blankets that she embroidered their names on that they sleep with every night.

Homemade is best!

Quoting Fistandantalus:

Golly, I'd be seriously touched if someone took that kind of time to make my child a present! I would probably keep the item forever .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yayay15
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't expect gifts for parties. They are to celebrate their bdays not to see how many presents we can get. I would be thankful for anything we got though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM
One mom and I are friends. I don't think she'll care at all. She told me "it wouldn't be a party without you guys!!!"

The other mom? It's strictly an our-kids-get-along thing. We're not really friends, we run in the same circle and Our kids are friends lol

Quoting Dzyre1115:

You give what you can, if they are only inviting you to get a gift, are they really worth having a friendship with anyway?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Aww I haz a sad :(

Quoting carterscutie85:

I'd hate it and call you out for being a cheap ass in front of everyone.

JK. I would love it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM

One more ear and I'm done with the top of #1!! Then I'm switching to pink for the bottom
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd absolutely love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexxxxx
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Homemade gifts take a hell of a lot more effort than stopping at a store on the way to the party and grabbing something from the toy aisles. Anyone who doesn't appreciate that doesn't deserve your guilt over not being able to buy something. 

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Can you make the hats special by maybe using more than one color or type of yarn?  My sister gave my daughter the cutest hat for Christmas one year when she was little.  It had rainbow yarn and beads around the first few rows and then white yarn an then the top had the type of yarn that stuck out like fur.  Everyone who saw that hat loved it.  

Or maybe puting some crochet flowers with seed beads in the center?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN