Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how would you feel if.... *pic pg 20*pg27* UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
Someone brought a home made gift to your child's birthday party?

We're broke. Our bills are paid, but atm we have nothing for little extras. So, what can I do for the back to back parties this weekend??

I decided to crochet them hats. Both girls are turning 1. I already have the supplies....

I feel bad though... :-/ like they might think I'm cheap or something. One mom won't care- we are good friends and she knows money is tight.. the other? We barely know each other- but our kids get along well. Both moms are in a different tax bracket (to put it simply)

So, would you find it tacky?

*update*
Both moms loved the hats! Thank you ladies for building my confidence on the matter. Because of the overwhelming support, I am now setting up a shop!! Thank you!! ♥
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM
Replies (71-80):
lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that is cute. they are only one, i don't think you have to go all out, If the mom cares then she is just selfish

cupomeow
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

This makes me mad, because I know how you feel. Homemade means so much more than store bought. You will take the time to make the hats, picked out the yarn and will think of them while you make the hats. It will likely take you hours to knit the hats. Yet there are some people who would rather have a storebought item that was probably made in China, mass produced and sitting on a store shelf. It takesa a few minutes to pick it out and put it in your cart. I know how you feel, I have a few extended family members who turn their noses up at anything that is homemade.

Lizardannie1966
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's an awesome idea, OP!! :)

cherrywaves21
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Tacky would be showin up with a empty cardboard box wrapped up. :-D

Quoting xomrs.chase:

Ageed lol. I just didn't want it to be tacky. Idk. All of you are making me feel better :) thanks

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I would think its awesome for a child of any age.

Personally if a friend thought it was cheap of me to put time and effort into a gift we might have a problem:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meparty
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually love homemade gifts.

Ms.Rios11.28.05
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't find it tacky at all..as long as the gift has been well thought out and made nicely I think its fine. I sell handmade jewelry/scarves/headbands I have have given handmade items to people/kids several times.

Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

No I would find it awesome.I love homemade gifts.It shows the person put thought and effort into it.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha I hear home made and I think like macaroni glued onto construction paper lol.. Crocheted hats are cute! I'd appreciate it! My aunt makes me kids hats and blankets and clothes.. It's nice because they have something that's unique that you can't buy in stores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CuriousArentYa
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

It would not bother me at all. I wouldn't even care if you came without a gift. I have told people don't get them gifts they have everything and more than they possibly need. They get gifts from mom, dad and the grandparents so a friend or two not bringing a gift is no big deal.

alwayskk
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

That would probably be their favorite gift. You tell my kids YOU made something, they will freak out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN