Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how would you feel if.... *pic pg 20*pg27* UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post
Someone brought a home made gift to your child's birthday party?

We're broke. Our bills are paid, but atm we have nothing for little extras. So, what can I do for the back to back parties this weekend??

I decided to crochet them hats. Both girls are turning 1. I already have the supplies....

I feel bad though... :-/ like they might think I'm cheap or something. One mom won't care- we are good friends and she knows money is tight.. the other? We barely know each other- but our kids get along well. Both moms are in a different tax bracket (to put it simply)

So, would you find it tacky?

*update*
Both moms loved the hats! Thank you ladies for building my confidence on the matter. Because of the overwhelming support, I am now setting up a shop!! Thank you!! ♥
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM
Replies (81-90):
kranger
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I think thats the best gift you can give is something you took the time to do yourself. My dd was given a blanket that a friend had made for her when she was 2. She's now 14 and she still has it. She doesnt have all the little toys and misc. stuff that she was given from that birthday. Super thoughtful.

BloodyAngel7476
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

that is a great idea wish i could do stuff like make hats. i only have done a cross stitch blanket and gave that as a gift.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Id rather receive a knitted hat for my one yr old than for them to get a noisy ass toy. Lol
My mom knitted many things for my dd instead of buying her a gift. And it always got the most attention in the party if i opened gifts up in front of everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I would love it and so would my kids. Mine are spoiled lol they get new toys, play with them a couple times then forget about them. Home made gifts are personal and are more valued (at least by my kids). I was talking to my kids the other day about christmas, I asked what they got last year. The only thing they remembered was the scarves their aunt knitted for them and to be honest I don't remember anything else they got either. I know these kids are only 1 and won't remember anyway but if their parents are like me they will only remember the personal gift too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I would find it thoughtful and be very grateful.

DuncansMommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I'd love it.

cherrywaves21
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I freak out too! Lol. I'm like "oh my goodness you made that for me?!" "thank you soooo much!"

Quoting alwayskk:

That would probably be their favorite gift. You tell my kids YOU made something, they will freak out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

No, not tacky at all.

MsRkg
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

No there's actually more thought and feeling put into a homemade gift than just simply buying something from the store. If I had any type of artistic talent and time, I would make stuff ,like hats, blankets, booties, etc  for babies and toddlers, but since I lack the skill and time , it's easier for me to just buy stuff LOL. My husband's friend's wife made my son a stuffed animal when he was born and I thought it was the most thoughtful gift he received, and he still sleeps with it today. Those types are gifts are more precious than anything else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I love homemade gifts and so so most of my friends. I feel like I have all I need and truly never want anything. Last month I made cupcakes in a jar for my bestie's dd she loved it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)