Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's your job

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm enrolling in school for this spring. I'm 25 with two kids (we want more) and am tired of crappy retail jobs.. I want a real job with a decent income, but I don't know what I want to do. Even in high school, I didn't know what I wanted to be. I'm thinking a teacher or a nurse, but there's cons to both jobs. 

What do you ladies do, do you enjoy it?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Replies (41-50):
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM
It's not a good job, but it works with what I want to do which is home school my kids. I work child care for the YMCA, both after school and vacation clubs/summer day camp. I like it. I make $9.50 per hour to play with kids for what usually amounts to 3 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Michellina11234
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Thankfully I am on a working break so I can change careers

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I was 20, had only worked one part time job back in high school, and had a lot going on. I was in an abusive relationship, had a  3 month old and had just gotten pregnant unplanned, It was too much for me to have a job, and I kept making mistakes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? I find it way less stressful than my last job. I managed a restaurant. But I make half of what I used to.... I've been offered 2 restaurant jobs since taking the teller job 5 months ago. Been thinking about taking it. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked as a teller for a few months back when I was pregnant with my youngest, almost 6 years ago. I hated it, but at the time I was very stressed out. I've considered trying it again, but I don't think I want to because I may hate it again.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a bank teller. LOVE IT.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Bridge tender / open and close bridges for vessels.
TarantulaTress
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM
I work part time in retail at the customer service desk. While there are days when an ornery customer can upset the balance of my day, I really don't find the job "crappy" and since I get a paycheck I find it to be a "real" job as well. Kinda irks me a little when people say it's not a real job, because IMO it's as real as any other job out there. I work to supplement DH's income and part time to leave myself plenty of time to care for my kids and home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM
Owner of a child care center. Yes it's in a home but not my home a home we bought just for daycare.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Aw. I'm sorry :( there is a girl at work like that. And come to think of it, she's been off a lot lately.... She planned on leaving her crazy ass, abusive fiance while he was at work, taking her daughter and moving 2 hours away, but the morning she was supposed to leave, she found out she was pregnant. so she stayed. She's now 2 months along, and super stressed all the time. But I've lived through abuse. I have little sympathy for her.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was 20, had only worked one part time job back in high school, and had a lot going on. I was in an abusive relationship, had a  3 month old and had just gotten pregnant unplanned, It was too much for me to have a job, and I kept making mistakes.

Quoting Anonymous:

Really? I find it way less stressful than my last job. I managed a restaurant. But I make half of what I used to.... I've been offered 2 restaurant jobs since taking the teller job 5 months ago. Been thinking about taking it. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked as a teller for a few months back when I was pregnant with my youngest, almost 6 years ago. I hated it, but at the time I was very stressed out. I've considered trying it again, but I don't think I want to because I may hate it again.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a bank teller. LOVE IT.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I worked customer service at a large retail store and was miserable. 

Quoting TarantulaTress:

I work part time in retail at the customer service desk. While there are days when an ornery customer can upset the balance of my day, I really don't find the job "crappy" and since I get a paycheck I find it to be a "real" job as well. Kinda irks me a little when people say it's not a real job, because IMO it's as real as any other job out there. I work to supplement DH's income and part time to leave myself plenty of time to care for my kids and home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:12 AM
Of course it is a real job. I wouldn't call it a career though.

Quoting TarantulaTress:

BarbaraJane
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I am a cosmetologist.  I am also a cosmetology instructor but I prefer to work behind the chair.  I love love love what I do - - so much so that I gave up a position as an instructor to go back to working behind the chair.  I manage a chain salon.  

I have held many many positions in my life. . .. I always say I have had just about every profession EXCEPT "the oldest profession."  haha!  Many of the positions I have had may have been more prestigious than one would consider a "hair dresser' but my heart is in cosmetology and so I find great pleasure in what I do.  I  am proud of what I do.  I work long hours, come home tired, and sometimes my feet hurt from being on them all day. But I am happy and that is what matters.  And for what it's worth, I make a good living at this.  Not all hair dressers are financially successful, but I am one of the lucky ones who has managed to find a way to make this work.

Good luck finding the career that makes you happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)