Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found my dream job...with a major downside

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi all. I am a college grad with a degree in early childhood edu and development. I have been looking for a job in my field since I graduated in 2011 (I've been working for less then minimum wage since then as a waitress).
I finally got a call back from a really great school to be a developmental speech therapist and councelor and I am so excited! It won't pay that well the first year but it wil be worth it later on.
Downside: our son is due late this December and I wanted to spend the first year with him (i was going to be a SAHM days and when DH got home, got to classes for my masters). I cannot afford the child care center I will be working at (it's $250 per child per week!) So he would still wind up in day care, which is what I was trying to avoid for his first year and practically all I wil be making will go to the cost of day care.

My choices seem to be: stay at home with DS like I want, work on my masters and part-time as a waitress (i don't *have*to work but I would be a big help).
Or
Take the dream job but give up all the quality time with DS and (how I see it, call me wrong if you like) basically have someone else raise my child. Make a small check and use well over half of it for him to go to a good day care and still not have him.

I wanted to feed on demand and such.

Sigh, like I said, they called this morning so I need to talk to DH about it first but this is just the way I see it. What would you do?
P.S. The reason I was ONLY looking at centers with a newbirn/infant center is so I could still have DS with me if I did go back to work right off. I didn't think leaving him would be this hard of a decision since moms go back to work after babies all the time!

(sorry for any mistakes, I'm on my phone and it doesnt let me go back and edit very easily)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Stay home with your kid.  You say you don't need the money *cough, yeah right, cough* so it's a no brainer.  Stay home with your kid.

alwayskk
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I gotcha. I think it's not a dream job if you can't bring your son like you wanted to and if all of your money will be going towards childcare. I also think you should stay home if you want to and if you can afford it.

Quoting arigdon4:

For the most part, I would prefer to work with younger children, pre school our younger.
The reason I was only.looking at places with a newborn center is do DS could be there with me. Wouls still be able to feed on demand and such.
I dont need ajob, per se, but it would help and it seems a waste to not use and education I paid so much and worked so hard for.
And I've had several applications in, it seems mine finally came to the top of the pile (generally schools/development centers only hire about twice a year)

Quoting alwayskk:

Are you only looking at jobs in daycare/childcare centers? DO you need a job? Why look if you want to stay at home once the baby is born for an entire year?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Id take the job and look for home Providers. They are cheaper then centers and give more 1:1 attention from my experience.

I teach. To find a position in the school setting is hard. You may not find that opportunity again.
arigdon4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM
I've been pitying in these applications since graduation, when I want pregnant.
Generally development centers and schools only hire twice a year.

Quoting FL2AK:

If you have struggled to find a job you might one to take one while it is offered. I don't understand getting pregnant while searching for a job.

I would gain some experience before going for your masters degree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Stay home with the baby the first year. Start on your master's degree and then go to work when baby is a year and you aren't bfeeding as much. 

MamaLub
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM
It's not a dream job if you'll be miserable. If you don't need to work then stay home. Like you said, all your money would go to daycare so it won't technically help. You can get another great job. You can't get your childs first year back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krusesbaby
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Id stay at home and get my masters then search for a better job later. You can't get that first year back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MizMellyMac
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Stay home. Your little one won't be little long. Picture lying on your deathbed. Would you say "my only regret is staying home instead of taking that job"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM
They don't offer a discount on the child care for those who work there? I know my son's school offers a huge discount to children of faculty members. It's worth checking out before you turn down a dream job.
2ninos4me
by Mrs.Erika2 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Stay home. , you wont get that time back !!!! Btw not to sound mean but it seems as if u dont really want to go back to work which is understandable ... Stay home now that u can , enjoy your ds, work on ur masters and them join the work force when you are ready :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)