Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found my dream job...with a major downside

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi all. I am a college grad with a degree in early childhood edu and development. I have been looking for a job in my field since I graduated in 2011 (I've been working for less then minimum wage since then as a waitress).
I finally got a call back from a really great school to be a developmental speech therapist and councelor and I am so excited! It won't pay that well the first year but it wil be worth it later on.
Downside: our son is due late this December and I wanted to spend the first year with him (i was going to be a SAHM days and when DH got home, got to classes for my masters). I cannot afford the child care center I will be working at (it's $250 per child per week!) So he would still wind up in day care, which is what I was trying to avoid for his first year and practically all I wil be making will go to the cost of day care.

My choices seem to be: stay at home with DS like I want, work on my masters and part-time as a waitress (i don't *have*to work but I would be a big help).
Or
Take the dream job but give up all the quality time with DS and (how I see it, call me wrong if you like) basically have someone else raise my child. Make a small check and use well over half of it for him to go to a good day care and still not have him.

I wanted to feed on demand and such.

Sigh, like I said, they called this morning so I need to talk to DH about it first but this is just the way I see it. What would you do?
P.S. The reason I was ONLY looking at centers with a newbirn/infant center is so I could still have DS with me if I did go back to work right off. I didn't think leaving him would be this hard of a decision since moms go back to work after babies all the time!

(sorry for any mistakes, I'm on my phone and it doesnt let me go back and edit very easily)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:42 AM
I would take the dream job. I think it would be the best choice in the long term. Babies go to daycare all the time & still have wonderful bonds with their parents. I say this as a sahm who ”meant” to finish up my education and such & never got around to it. Looking back, I wish I would've furthered my education & utilized daycare.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM
If your pay will be more than 250 a week it would cost to have your new baby in the center where you work I would take the job, keep my son there and get the experience. Even if you only take home 100-200 per week, that's helping out. They may offer discounts to employees if you don't know the benefits yet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:46 AM
First you haven't been offered the job yet.
They are probably interviewing a dozen candidates for the position.

At the very least go in for the interview. Then come home make a list of the pros and cons and take it from there.
arigdon4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Like I said, they only called this morning and I'm going in to meet with again (i haven't since last spring) later this week.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your pay will be more than 250 a week it would cost to have your new baby in the center where you work I would take the job, keep my son there and get the experience. Even if you only take home 100-200 per week, that's helping out. They may offer discounts to employees if you don't know the benefits yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM
Wouldn't you need a degree in speech therapy to provide speech therapy in a daycare? When you say that this us a dream job, I am not trying ti be cynical but your degree and a daycare setting pay very little in my experience, so I would truly stay home as planned with my little one. I think those first few years are irreplaceable . If you are considering going back for your masters degree, look into a program that would include an internship or practicum which will do two things, it will allow you an opportunity to get job experience that can often lead to a job offer upon graduation and you can put it on your resume. I completed a masters degree in clinical social work with two children, ages two and five. I hope you are considering a Masters in Education not in Early Childhood Education...there really is very little money in this field unless you own your own center based daycare or are in a high level administrative position with a large conglomerate like Kindercare or Mulberry .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM
What do you think would change after the 1st year? I have been home 13 years. Every year has it's rewards and challenges. My youngest is now 18 months and I couldn't imagine missing this time with her. Today I volunteer in my kindergarten daughters class and I love that too.
arigdon4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:54 AM
The "development"part of my degree is for my speech/occupational/developmental therapy as did my minor on. I didn't think I needed to be that specific on an internet forum. But thanks for checking :)
Thanks for your information

Quoting Anonymous:

Wouldn't you need a degree in speech therapy to provide speech therapy in a daycare? When you say that this us a dream job, I am not trying ti be cynical but your degree and a daycare setting pay very little in my experience, so I would truly stay home as planned with my little one. I think those first few years are irreplaceable . If you are considering going back for your masters degree, look into a program that would include an internship or practicum which will do two things, it will allow you an opportunity to get job experience that can often lead to a job offer upon graduation and you can put it on your resume. I completed a masters degree in clinical social work with two children, ages two and five. I hope you are considering a Masters in Education not in Early Childhood Education...there really is very little money in this field unless you own your own center based daycare or are in a high level administrative position with a large conglomerate like Kindercare or Mulberry .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Quoting arigdon4:

I honestly didn't know that this degree would allow you to do so much. Thank you so much for the information and I will tell my co-workers. We are all a little out if touch with some of the degrees offered.
arigdon4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM
It's not the standard, as I said that was my minor but out was worth the extra hours and classes if a land a job like this one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting arigdon4:

I honestly didn't know that this degree would allow you to do so much. Thank you so much for the information and I will tell my co-workers. We are all a little out if touch with some of the degrees offered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I thought you were single, so how could you stay home??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)