Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Found my dream job...with a major downside

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi all. I am a college grad with a degree in early childhood edu and development. I have been looking for a job in my field since I graduated in 2011 (I've been working for less then minimum wage since then as a waitress).
I finally got a call back from a really great school to be a developmental speech therapist and councelor and I am so excited! It won't pay that well the first year but it wil be worth it later on.
Downside: our son is due late this December and I wanted to spend the first year with him (i was going to be a SAHM days and when DH got home, got to classes for my masters). I cannot afford the child care center I will be working at (it's $250 per child per week!) So he would still wind up in day care, which is what I was trying to avoid for his first year and practically all I wil be making will go to the cost of day care.

My choices seem to be: stay at home with DS like I want, work on my masters and part-time as a waitress (i don't *have*to work but I would be a big help).
Or
Take the dream job but give up all the quality time with DS and (how I see it, call me wrong if you like) basically have someone else raise my child. Make a small check and use well over half of it for him to go to a good day care and still not have him.

I wanted to feed on demand and such.

Sigh, like I said, they called this morning so I need to talk to DH about it first but this is just the way I see it. What would you do?
P.S. The reason I was ONLY looking at centers with a newbirn/infant center is so I could still have DS with me if I did go back to work right off. I didn't think leaving him would be this hard of a decision since moms go back to work after babies all the time!

(sorry for any mistakes, I'm on my phone and it doesnt let me go back and edit very easily)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Replies (31-35):
arigdon4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

what? o_O

We've been married for a year.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought you were single, so how could you stay home??

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM
School and stay home. You can afford it and a better education will open bigger doors for you. Not to mention your bonding time with your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I was  a SAHM before my kids all went to school. Personally, I could not have handled someone else telling me he got his first tooth, took his first steps, or said his first word and called me mama. I wanted to BF and cloth diaper, and I got to do all of that! There's still plenty of years of my life left to have my dreams. Actually, I've accomplished all my dreams. Now, I get to be a GM, all of my kids as of last month each have 1 child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

ha, totally mixed you up with someone!

I vote stay home the first year

Quoting arigdon4:

what? o_O

We've been married for a year.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought you were single, so how could you stay home??

Sunshine257
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I would stay home for the first year so you can bond with your baby. A lot of moms don't have that Luxury. I did and it is well worth it you don't get that time back and they grow up so fast! I highly reccomend you put your career on hold. Another job will pop up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN