Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need serious help.

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
  • 13 Replies

This is my 4 month old lab Diesel, but do not be fooled by his sweet and innocent face!! This dog has some serious gas and I just don't know what to do anymore. I mean they are so bad they like burn your nose and make your eyes water, he was farting so much and they were so bad that I seriously got sick to my stomach! We've already changed his food a couple times but I just don't know what else to do! I'm open to any suggestions bc this is seriously bad!

Also! He has this thing with like biting, not hard but more of a playful biting but with his tiny little puppy teeth it really hurts!! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get that to stop too?

Thank you so much in advance!! 😜
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM

First...what are you feeding him?

When i got my lab, he had some horrible gas. Like WOAH. I switched his food to Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy and the gas is gone. Yay.

The biting. Labs are very mouthy. The like to "play" with their teeth. Alot. You have to teach him to NEVER put his mouth to human flesh. Ever. Every single time he does it you need to take him off, firmly tell him no. If he attempts to do it right again, close his muzzle shut with your hand and so "no bite. No bite" very firmly and sternly. 

I don't know how long you have had him, but you should have been training him to not "play" with his mouth for a very long time.

A cute little puppy doesn't seem very harmful, but an 80lb dog playing with his mouth is a different story. It is much harder to break bad habits than it is to teach good ones.

Work on that immediately. When you see him playing or chewing with his toy, praise him. alot. Soon he will learn that he gets scolded for biting humans, but praised for biting toys. He will make the connection, Labs are very smart.

This is Hank. He is my 7 week old Lab. 

GreenAndLean
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM
I would check into a dog food called canidae. It is the perfect food for dogs and they poop and fart less on it.

Most dog foods have corn and other crap as the top ingredients. That is bad. Dogs don't digest corn well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ndirishchic06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM
First we were feeding him purina puppy chow, then we switched to kibbles and bits, and now he's on Iams for puppies.

We've only had him a month and I don't think the woman we got him from had much time or patience to train a puppy, so he's sort of a work in progress lol he's already potty trained and knows a few basics like sit and stay. I just wasn't sure if the biting thing was just because he was a puppy or if it was something that we seriously needed to nip in the butt. We always make sure he's got soft toys layin around and some rawhides, and usually when he starts doing it I'll tell him now and give him a toy or bone instead. Thanks for your suggestion! And Hank is super cute!! :)

Quoting littlemonaghan:

When i got my lab, he had some horrible gas. Like WOAH. I switched his food to Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy and the gas is gone. Yay.

The biting. Labs are very mouthy. The like to "play" with their teeth. Alot. You have to teach him to NEVER put his mouth to human flesh. Ever. Every single time he does it you need to take him off, firmly tell him no. If he attempts to do it right again, close his muzzle shut with your hand and so "no bite. No bite" very firmly and sternly. 

I don't know how long you have had him, but you should have been training him to not "play" with his mouth for a very long time.

A cute little puppy doesn't seem very harmful, but an 80lb dog playing with his mouth is a different story. It is much harder to break bad habits than it is to teach good ones.

Work on that immediately. When you see him playing or chewing with his toy, praise him. alot. Soon he will learn that he gets scolded for biting humans, but praised for biting toys. He will make the connection, Labs are very smart.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ndirishchic06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Where would I be able to find it? I live in a tiny town, all we pretty much have his a Walmart, but we do have a feed store for like cattle but I think they have lots of doggy stuff too

Quoting GreenAndLean:

I would check into a dog food called canidae. It is the perfect food for dogs and they poop and fart less on it.

Most dog foods have corn and other crap as the top ingredients. That is bad. Dogs don't digest corn well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM

The biting thing is both. Right now, it is just because he is a puppy, but as he gets older it will become a problem, so its best to get rid of it now.

If you can find Eukanuba, buy that. Some big dogs do not do well on natural/organic foods. Not sure why but for some reason a few large breed dogs just dont react well to it.

I buy his food at petsmart, only place I could find it.

Purina and kibbles and bits are really crappy foods, no offense. lol. I was all set on buying purina but my husband wouldn't let me. 

And make sure you give him LOTS  of toys. Labs need a ton of strong and sturdy toys. You can alternate them out so he doesn't get bored, but he needs lots of toys.

Its good that he is already house trained....I wish mine was, but at 7 weeks, I keep reminding myself that he is still very young and it will take him. lol. Just very frustrating. lol. 

Quoting ndirishchic06:

First we were feeding him purina puppy chow, then we switched to kibbles and bits, and now he's on Iams for puppies.

We've only had him a month and I don't think the woman we got him from had much time or patience to train a puppy, so he's sort of a work in progress lol he's already potty trained and knows a few basics like sit and stay. I just wasn't sure if the biting thing was just because he was a puppy or if it was something that we seriously needed to nip in the butt. We always make sure he's got soft toys layin around and some rawhides, and usually when he starts doing it I'll tell him now and give him a toy or bone instead. Thanks for your suggestion! And Hank is super cute!! :)

Quoting littlemonaghan:

ndirishchic06
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:04 AM
The closest Petsmart is like 45 minutes from me so hopefully we can find something at Walmart or maybe even the vet, I know his vet sells Science Diet so maybe we'll try that next. But that's why we tried Iams bc it's a little bit more expensive of a brand so I thought well maybe it will be better for him. Wrong!! Right now we just have like some soft stuffed animals and raw hides for him but when he gets bigger I'm sure we'll upgrade to some kong toys and stuff like that. He's pretty much taken over our spare room, his toys and bones are scattered all over the floor lol but he's not spoiled or anything!!

Quoting littlemonaghan:

The biting thing is both. Right now, it is just because he is a puppy, but as he gets older it will become a problem, so its best to get rid of it now.

If you can find Eukanuba, buy that. Some big dogs do not do well on natural/organic foods. Not sure why but for some reason a few large breed dogs just dont react well to it.

Purina and kibbles and bits are really crappy foods, no offense. lol. I was all set on buying purina but my husband wouldn't let me. 

And make sure you give him LOTS  of toys. Labs need a ton of strong and sturdy toys. You can alternate them out so he doesn't get bored, but he needs lots of toys.

Its good that he is already house trained....I wish mine was, but at 7 weeks, I keep reminding myself that he is still very young and it will take him. lol. Just very frustrating. lol. 

Quoting ndirishchic06:

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I would get him some hard toys now. He is teething and needs something hard to chew on, hard and soft. And make sure the rawhide you are giving him is approved by the vet, some can be dangerous.

Also abotu the food. I buy the big 33lb bags. It might be worth the 45 minute trip, if you buy say 2 bags. I bought a 55qt dog food storage container, it will hold one of the big bags. If you have the room for it, you could put one big bag in the container, then keep an extra bag for when you run out. I bought the big bag about a month ago already and I have hardly made a dent in it. 

Quoting ndirishchic06:

The closest Petsmart is like 45 minutes from me so hopefully we can find something at Walmart or maybe even the vet, I know his vet sells Science Diet so maybe we'll try that next. But that's why we tried Iams bc it's a little bit more expensive of a brand so I thought well maybe it will be better for him. Wrong!! Right now we just have like some soft stuffed animals and raw hides for him but when he gets bigger I'm sure we'll upgrade to some kong toys and stuff like that. He's pretty much taken over our spare room, his toys and bones are scattered all over the floor lol but he's not spoiled or anything!!

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Quoting ndirishchic06:

Quoting littlemonaghan:

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Lmao! I'm sorry. Bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whisper85
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

What about his treats? Some treats can cause dogs to have gas. Anything like ol roy give my moms dogs bad gas. It's so over processed. Like the OP said labs are very mouthy. I would invest in a kong he needs something to chew on. It will also stop him from chewing on other things in the future. You can put his food in it with a little pb and freeze it! It will be a challenge for him to get his meal like that. It puts their minds to work like and he won't bite. He's so cute BTW! :)

kristy95
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I was told by a dog trainer to put frozen butter on your knuckles so when the dig nibbles he realizes u dont have fur and are not a playful littermate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN